PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen mod for hp,

09-20-2002, 10:21 AM
legal until comp board says otherwise.

attach a spring loaded cable to the adjuster on top of your holley fuel pressure regulator with preset movement limiters, put a knob on the other end and mount it to the side of your shifter so you can spin it a 1/2" with your thumb just like they do with adjustable boost in the porsche's. as soon as the shift light hits at say 4800, you thumb it leaning out your normally fat top end (the nikki shortcoming). all it takes is to drop fuel pressure by say from 2 1/2 down to 1 3/4 to bump your EGT 1450 to 1700 degrees. letting go will very quickly bring it back to 2 1/2. this will benefit the mazdas far more than the rest of the cars due to our unique carb. watch the reaction from the non-rotary crowd to this mod. I have seen the light, 90% of the club feels its OK to twist the rules any way they see fit. so the gloves come off. every aspect of my car thats not specified will be dial on the fly and ill sell kits or give away instructions across the nation to do so. works for me.

rlekun
09-20-2002, 01:11 PM
7's,

Hope you have your Nomex on. I suspect "flaming" will follow. Knestis, the podium is yours....

And let me know if you ever race in CenDiv...

09-20-2002, 01:29 PM
according to mark coffin you are already racing against a similiar device in cendiv in FI cars. these guys already flamed me for saying it wasnt legal, see rules thread.

RWRACE
09-20-2002, 01:31 PM
7'S
Can you e-mail or post instructions on how to do this and whats needed. What would it cost for a kit that you are talking about.
It's a hell of an idea, good thinking by your part.

09-20-2002, 01:44 PM
better wait till the runoffs are over, I have a notion s--t is going to hit the fan over this one, yes it is legal in ITCS, but I have a feeling there will be a fastrack tech bulletin on every possible cockpit controlled device concievable for Improved Touring next month. it wasnt my idea, the fuel injection car guys are useing it already.

rlekun
09-20-2002, 04:10 PM
The ol' "its okay because everyone else is doing it defense."

[This message has been edited by rlekun (edited September 20, 2002).]

09-20-2002, 04:15 PM
no, there is a loophole in the ITCS for this, will it close up? dont know, but if those FI guys have it their way it wont, so im gathering pieces up for mine this weekend.

09-20-2002, 04:46 PM
WARNING........... just got off the phone with my motor builder, hes very excited, said it'll make definate gains and cant wait to chassis dyno the setup, BUT, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A DIGTRON DUAL READOUT EGT, the other types will not react to the temp change quick enough and you will burn up your apex seals before you ever get it dialed in and set properly.

09-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by RWRACE:
7'S
Can you e-mail or post instructions on how to do this and whats needed. What would it cost for a kit that you are talking about.
It's a hell of an idea, good thinking by your part.

I would love to, im working on Visio-Cad drawing right now on simple over the counter parts to make it work.

lateapex911
09-20-2002, 07:33 PM
7s-

can you give me the heads up on the Digtron Guage? Cost ? Source? Needed components and accessories?

I'm in the market....

You can email me directly if you want...

Thanks!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Quickshoe
09-20-2002, 07:47 PM
Jake, 7's

The dual egt guages are Digatron.

I know you (Daryl) had brought up the gauge before on another thread and couldn't find a link. Here it is:

www.digatron.cc (http://www.digatron.cc)

Edited to provide correct link.

Happy tinkering!

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited September 20, 2002).]

Knestis
09-20-2002, 09:02 PM
Not by way of condoning this behavior http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif but check the karting places and people for used Digitron pyrometers. I don't see any reason that they are different.

Along those lines, guys who always beat me in the Yamaha kart classes used to use a squeeze lever mounted to the wheel to twist a jet as they would get "up on the pipe" on the straights. It had a pull cable, a tiny rack and pinion deal that affixed to the carb, turning the linear motion into a set amount of rotation. I can completely see how a rotary would benefit in exactly the same way as a two-strock piston engine does.

Speaking of which, could you make a slippy-pipe exhaust? No - forget I mentioned that.

As clever at this stuff is, I still don't believe it is legal. Of course, I came down against the electronic version, too.

Really, I wish that IT7, Spec7 and the other classes didn't exist so we could get ALL of the marginalized ITA people behind the IT2 idea, and solve the ROOT problem here - that being the A bar having been raised to hog-heaven.

The RX guys and gals wouldn't be constantly PO'd because the classification process treats them like crap, the FI adjustability issue wouldn't rankle so badly, and the thread about Mark C's FI tweaker wouldn't have ended with people getting personal and 7's taking all of his words and going home.

The entire thread was a big disappointment to me, having come to expect a lot from this group. I'm a notorious liberal but I just think that if we stopped bickering and worked together, we could fix some of these problems.

Have fun with the experiment.

Kirk

09-20-2002, 09:29 PM
once again Kirk, I agree with your opinion.
by agreeing with rules creep they have indeed "Placed the bar out of their own reach" on this one. mines legal, thiers is not(wiring).
thanks for the input on the Kart tricks, ill look into that.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited September 20, 2002).]

lateapex911
09-20-2002, 11:29 PM
Well, as an RX-7 driver I may as well throw in my .02....

Here's a few things I'm trying to do...before I think about some adjustable thing on my carburator....

Install those 4.88 gears instad of stock gears.

Learn to drive.

Corner weight the car.

Learn to race.

Heck...just weighing the car would be nice!

Learn to drive off line better.

Get a pyrometer and use it.

Learn to drive fast EVERY lap.

Build an airdam/splitter thingy to hide my dogeared lower valence, and in my fantasies, add a mile an hour or two to my long straight speeds.

Learn to brake deeper and more consistantly.

Put in brake ducts!

And from the "important to the life of the engine" list....

Change to the old style oil cooler.

Learn to test.

Double check my oil switch and add a large red on the dash indicator light to signal loss of pressure, to supplement my on the console light.

Learn to be early to every darn session.

Add EGTs to make sure I'm not burning the engine up.

Flag more often to help out those who help me and to see it from another point of view.

Oh....think about tweaking the carburator...maybe even from the cockpit!

If you know what I mean...

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

09-21-2002, 12:17 AM
Your right on Jake, I have done every one of those, not all in SCCA, including flagging except,

"Double check my oil switch and add a large red on the dash indicator light to signal loss of pressure, to supplement my on the console light.

Thank you, no one can remember or think of everything.

09-21-2002, 12:19 AM
p.s. boy your going to love those 4:88's, makes a whole new animal out of your rex.

Quickshoe
09-21-2002, 01:08 AM
Jake,

I'd argue that about 1/3 of your suggestions will have a larger effect on your lap times than the other 2/3's combined.

lateapex911
09-21-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Quickshoe:
Jake,

I'd argue that about 1/3 of your suggestions will have a larger effect on your lap times than the other 2/3's combined.

Hey QS....I bet you're right...which ones do you see as the best place to start??

(My point was that, for me at least, concentrating on the basics would get me closer......)

ddewhurst
09-24-2002, 08:21 AM
There requires some equality between the rules & each racers personal agenda. & my bet is that a whooooooooo will be put on this open book stuff that each racers personal agenda requires. I had a long talk with a SCCA employee at the Runoffs about the antique GCR & the employees plan for a GCR improvement that will bring the GCR into the 21st century.

Nuff said for now. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Have Fun

David

Allen Brown
09-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Jake,

You'll wonder why you haven't installed the 4.88's sooner. Even w/ my partially (from where I want it to be) completed suspension, I couldn't keep up with the street-port 12a...in the draft with my SE before. Now, I just pull out and pass, not quickly, but it's a pass. My times dropped by approx. 1 second by dropping in the 4.88's. The track I race at has the longest front straight in Canada. I sit at 7500 in 5th at the end of the front straight.

Regards.

------------------
Allen Brown
#36 IT1
[email protected]