PDA

View Full Version : RX7 GXL

John Herman
09-16-2002, 09:48 AM
Was at a salvage yard this weekend looking for some parts for may car, when I spotted a Mazda RX7 GXL. I got looking at it closer, and it was all there except the four tires. There weren't even any parking lot dings on the body! I'm guessing the engine was shot. Could someone tell me about the general shortcomings of this vehicle. Would it be worth trying to buy it and fix it? I have enough projects, but I hate to see a good car get crushed, regardless of the make.

Knestis
09-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Are you talking about racing it or doing a "street rescue"? The GXL has all of the go-faster bits (e.g., big brakes) and all of the up-charge trim stuff. If the interior is in good shape, then it might be a worthy street car project. If not, it would exceed the car's value to replace it, I would guess. Pet or smoke stink, mold or other chronic interior maladies would make it a potential race car value.

Kirk

John Herman
09-16-2002, 10:51 AM
I was thinking about a street car/track day car. I currently run an Olds Calais, and know very little about RX7's / rotaries. I thought if the car had all the go-fast parts (which it sounds like it does), I would be more inclined to get it. You know, racer first, show queen second. I didn't notice any "funky smell" when I opened the door. When they parked it, the windows were left rolled up. The fact it looks so good though, might allow me to use the arguement my wife could drive it. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Silkworm
09-16-2002, 12:21 PM
That's how my ITS car got started out of my street '88 GXL.

Great track car too.

PaulC

C. Ludwig
09-16-2002, 05:46 PM
You see 'em like that alot. Rotary goes pop, no one knows how to fix it and there it sits. Have a buddy with a similar case. Got him down to $400 but he's leaning towards "come and take it" so I'm still waiting. Doing a short block swap is pretty straight forward. Just beware of the vacuum mess. Nothing hard just make sure everything is hooked up and the hoses haven't gotten brittle and leaky. These motors are oil injected. So ensure proper workings of the injection pump on a new motor. JY motors can usually be had for $4-800. In a racing situation the tranny is really the weak link so if it's been abused for alot of miles on the street it may need attention. I've seen used trannies for $100-150. All the elctrical gadgets can be a nuisance. Wiper switches in particular are known to fail and are usually expected to fail. Mazda seemed to be afraid of using a relays and sent high current electricity through some small contacts in the switch that like to arc and glaze over. Cold solder joints are common as well. I spent an afternoon with a street rescue TII and got the wipers and stereo working by just touching up some solder joints and cleaning some contacts. Basically they have their downfalls but with some TLC and common knowledge nothing very hard or expensive to overcome. Best soruce of info on the web IMO is www.rx7forums.com (http://www.rx7forums.com)

BTW, I think you should buy the 7, spend way too much time working on it and neglect your Olds. You're way too fast as it is! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

rlekun
09-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Look for rust in and around the frame wells especially if it has a sunroof...forward of the rear axle where the upper arms mount. You want a good foundation to build upon.

Dave Burchfield
09-23-2002, 09:46 PM
John,

Get it. If for no other reason than to take it apart and put it back together. From an engineering standpoint, it is really cool to see them on the inside.

My wife would like it if you got it. Then there would be someone else to give parts to. I have plenty in the basement.

db