PDA

View Full Version : Handling Problems

AS-RACER
09-03-2002, 11:18 AM
I was Racing At Second Creek a couple of weeks ago (2nd Gen ITS RX7) and had an incidant with a Z. My car was handling great before the incident and now it is pushing like a pig. The hit was hard enough to crack my left front brake rotor. We checked the alignment and found that there was now a little over 5 degrees of camber on the left front wheel instead of 2. So we changed it to 2.5 degrees of camber because now we can't get it back to 2. It still would not turn in at all. It doesn't appear that anything has been bent or moved so I am suspecting a bent shock? My question is how do I tell if a shock is bent or not? I have taken it off and it looks ok. It is a Koni single adjustable that we got from Mazda Comp. Is there anything else that I should look at that could be causing the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sean Sweeney

joeg
09-03-2002, 01:08 PM
I posted to the wrong topic.

Check the toe after the incident and readjusting the camber?

09-03-2002, 01:42 PM
push the shock down, will it go down and does it come back?

AS-RACER
09-03-2002, 03:23 PM
The shock goes down when i push on it but I have to pull it back hard to get it to come back up.

lateapex911
09-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Hmmmm...you need to check your other shock as a "control"...

Other thoughts..... your lower arm may have been bent...a quick left to right check of wheel base should tip you off if the arm has been moved. Also, take the springs out and try to move the susp. through it's rnge of movemant to check for binding. Do this with the sway bar off. Check that too for binding!

Also, check ALL your bolts for slight looseness.....you could have the dreaded toe shifting problem!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]