PDA

View Full Version : Not a new roll cage!

benracin
08-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Well the ita rx7 I picked up earlier this year turns out to have 1.388" roll cage tubing and that's a bit under the required 1.5". Ouch. So I need a new cage.

I've been looking at the autopower u-weld cage but after you buy the cage, ship it to Minnesota and pay a welder $50 an hour to put it together I think I'm over a grand in costs. Can't a cage be made from scratch for this kind of car for less?

Any advice on where to find a good kit or someone to put it in near Minnesota would be a big help. Thanks.

Quickshoe
08-28-2002, 07:03 PM
the quick answer is no. I don't think you'll find a good custom cage built for under a grand.

There have been several discussions about bolt in cages vs. custom. So I won't bore you with all the arguments for and against.

If you are considering another bolt-in cage consider a KIRK. Look in the back of a GRM or SportsCar, they should be in there.

Quickshoe
08-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Check your tubing size again...when was the last annual tech done? I assume you were attempting to say 1.375" and not 1.388". You are measuring the OD not the ID correct?

benracin
08-29-2002, 04:49 PM
The 1.388 is the OD as measured by the Tech. Maybe the paint added on a little extra? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

The car was last SCCA raced in 1998 and had the cage put in in 94 I think. I really don't know how he got it passed tech for those years since it was out of date not to long after he put it in.

I'm not to sure about a bolt in cage. I'm sure they're safe but it sounds like there are many more benefits from a welded in cage when it comes to handling.

I'll check the magazines tonight for some builders. Seems like the hardest part is finding the right shop and then being sure you can trust that person. Any tips?

Thanks for the advice.

ITSRotary
09-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Drop me an e-mail and I can point you to a couple shops that do quality work. What part of the state are you in?

IMO, a professional welded cage is better in just about every respect vs bolt-in.

I just had a local (Duluth) shop re-work the Autopower in my 2nd gen and I wish I'd have gone to them initially. $70/hr to finally get it kinda like I originally wanted it was an expensive lesson. Don't even ask what I've got into it at this point.

It's never cheaper to do it right the third time .......

[email protected]

Steve