PDA

View Full Version : 12a Oil Line

ScottNutter
08-25-2002, 03:42 PM
I was at BeaveRun on Sat. and might have had the distinction of being the first one to spew oil all over the track http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif As it turns out the oil line from the front of the engine to the oil cooler (oil to water) got a pin hole leak in it. Is there a way I can replace this with braided line or do I just need to spend $87 from Mazdatrix and get the stock replacement. I know that the oil to air coolers are better and someday I might switch but I have not had any temperature problems yet, so that mod is pretty far down on the list. I need to get this fixed soon as my next race is 9/7 @ Mid Ohio.

I might try taking the stock one off of my street Rx7, but I am sure it will twist and then I'll have 2 to replace.

Thanks

balz
08-25-2002, 05:29 PM
Scott,

I have SS braided lines on mine. You need an adapter for the engine and the cooler to adapt, but then you can make your own lines as need be with Earls AN fittings.

Try Adkins Rotary. I think that is where I got my adapters...it has been a LONG time since I did my conversation. The fittings are only a few bucks a piece. I HIGHLY recommend the converstion.

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

ScottNutter
08-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Thanks,
I have never used nor have I seen up close AN fittings. From briefly looking it appears that these have barbed fittings so it should be a simple matter to make a hose. Does anybody happen to know the size of the banjo bolt and the size and thread on the connection on the front of the engine?

titanium
08-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Now would be the time to change over to the early style (79-82) type oil cooler rather that spending the money on yours. To quote the mazdaspeed development website; "The oil cooler on these RX7s is mounted under the oil filter. It should not be used for competition purposes". If you are intent on keeping your current one, you can check mazdatrix for a used one.
Rodney Williamson
www.titaniummotorsports.com (http://www.titaniummotorsports.com)

miketrier
08-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Do not use the aeroquip blue socketless hose for this application. I did and it came off and dumped my oil. Go with the good reuseable fittings, AN10 size. Complete stainless hose sets and the adaptors to fit the engine and oil cooler are available from most any of the Mazda rotary specialty performance vendors. The hoses and hose ends are available at most any speed shop. If you are going to make your own you'll need someone to whow you how to work with braided stainless hose the first time. The vise insert is well worth the cost. Be sure the hose doesn't slip when you tighten it down.

dickita15
08-27-2002, 08:22 AM
after very carefully making stainless lines we had one pull out of the fitting costing us an motor. we had a friend who is a garbage truck mechcanic make up new lines. they are an aeroquip product rated at over 3000 psi with a black rubber outer coating. the machine that crimps the ends on weighs more than my race car.
i will never build my own lines again.

Allen Brown
08-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Just a heads up...When having your hoses made up, Ask the question "What can these hoses take on the extended use for operating temperatures?"

I just had some oil lines made up for my RX, and I found the rubber lines that this shop makes up could only take 210 F to 220 F, yes they were good for the 3000 psi, but not for the temperature that the rotary will put out.

The lines I had made up were steel braided and teflon lined. The teflon can take the high heat.

The bill at the end was half of what Racing Beat lines would have cost me. And about 1/4 of the bill were the metric to AN adaptor fittings. But now if I have to replace a line later..It'll be cheap..(it's all relative..)

dickita15
08-27-2002, 03:17 PM
thanks allen
i will check that out
dick