PDA

View Full Version : Legal donor car for ITS 7

Dak
07-07-2002, 02:45 AM
What I have been wondering is if the Rx-7 you use in ITS has to start life as a non-turbo as long as the driveline parts and engine and everything else are legal.Reason being I have a 89 TII parts car I was going to use to do a turbo conversion on my GTUs someday.Now could I put my GTUs parts on the TII shell and eventually use it as an ITS car or do they check vin#s.Or as long as I pass tech does it matter what it started life as.Hope this made sense.Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Dak (edited July 07, 2002).]

backformore
07-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Technically, you cannot use the TII tub. The GTU tub is OK for ITS. Why not fix up TII for street and covert GTu for track? Or sell me the GTU for cheap?

Dak
07-07-2002, 11:04 PM
I was afraid of that.The TII has bad paint and some slight body damage and a blown motor missing the turbo and ecu.The GTUs is in very good condition.The thing that gets me is the only difference between the GTUs and the TII's were the driveline,engine and the turbo had abs.The suspensions and brakes(other than abs)were exactly the same,even the wheels were 16" from the factory on the GTUs(though from what I understand ITS rules won't allow the use of the wheels even though they allow use of the GTUs gearbox and differential).I have a GXL parts car but it's not in as good a shape as the TII and started out as an automatic.I really would like to keep the GTUs on the road and use one of the other two to build the race car(preferably the TII if it was allowed by the rules).

paulydee
07-08-2002, 12:57 AM
I don't see what the issue woul dbe of using a TII chassis for a race car? The cars all go down the same assembly line, different components are installed in these chassis to make the different models. As long as all the parts on the car as spec when the car is done.

Paul

bwaits
08-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Turbo II is a model. The shell is identical. As long as all components are removed that were not available on the non-turbo car you would be legal. If you plan to build the car from a completely stripped shell - you would be starting with the exact same thing as any rx7 of the same year.

Quickshoe
08-18-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by bwaits:
As long as all components are removed that were not available on the non-turbo car you would be legal.

I've got to disagree here. "The VIN shall correspond with the automobile classified, and will determine the model and type for competition purposes"

In the case of the RX7, I don't agree with the rule. As stated above if the shell and all other components are the same what's the big deal? The problem is that if that clause wasn't in the book, other makes and models might be able to mix and match parts creating a frankenstein of sorts that wasn't available.

Sell off the TII stuff to some street racer dude and start with a good donor car. Don't harm the GTUs! If it truly is a GTUs and not a GTU you could probably sell it and buy a complete ITS Rx7 ready to put you on the podium.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited August 18, 2002).]

Bill Miller
08-18-2002, 09:52 PM
Wow, and I thought this topic was unique to VW's! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Seriously, is there anything in the VIN# that differentiates a TII from any of the other cars that are classified? If so, you can't use it. If not, you can.

And, I agree w/ Quickshoe, it's a silly rule. Case in point, '83 VW Rabbit GTI vs. '83 Rabbit LS 2-dr. Other than motor (1.8 GTI vs. 1.7 LS), wheels (14x6 GTI vs. 13x5.5 LS), and front brakes (vented front rotors GTI vs. solid front rotors LS, same diameter), there is no way to tell the cars apart (assuming the removable interior stuff is gone. Yet, there's a digit in the VIN# that identifies which engine came in the car. So, You can't use an '83 Rabbit LS tub and bolt all the GTI stuff on it and have it be a GTI.

However, if you look at the Golfs in ITB, you can use any year tub from '85 - '92 since there is nothing in the VIN# that differentiates any of them from one another. Silly rule! What's even funnier, is that you can also run the Golf Cup cars in ITB, even though they have no VIN#, just as long as they're prepared to IT specs.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

C. Ludwig
08-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Yeah, the Vin differentiates the two models. Eighth digit I believe. Technicaly it is not legal. Practically, no one will ever know or care. I would not have a second thought about doing it myself. Problem is the only thing you will be able to use is the tub. Tranny, driveshaft, half-shafts, third member are all different. Think engine harnesses are too. Brainstorm...pop the two vin plates out of your GXL and put them into the TII. Now you have a GXL. Grind the stamping on the firewall smooth so no one can give you a hard time. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Knestis
08-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Ditto.

Geez.

Kirk.

Silkworm
08-20-2002, 06:33 PM
*cough* *gasp*

<thud>

Hell hath now frozen over

LOL

PaulC

Bill Miller
08-20-2002, 09:20 PM
[passes out in total disbelief]

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Knestis
08-20-2002, 11:04 PM
...well, what's a NERD to do? It had all been said.

Of course, it could also be that I have a chop-shop Mazda (or two) in my history. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif If there is beer anywhere near Summit Point on Labor Day, maybe I'll share that story...

K

08-21-2002, 09:38 AM
yes paul it must be snowing in Taft.CA right now, either that or Kirks hands are all over some 19 yearold coed at the moment.

Knestis
08-21-2002, 10:11 AM
Dude - I'm shocked. As a happily married man I can assure you that I quit dating 19 year old women back when I was 32.

K

bwaits
08-21-2002, 06:35 PM
/foot in mouth

I did some checking. The VIN does specify turbo or non turbo. I was un aware of this until this thread. The turbo II was sold as a "model" so I never thought twice about the vin number.

Here is a VIN breakdown I found at www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com)

For this VIN "JM1FC332..."

JM1 = Mazda
FC = 2nd Gen
33 = Body Style (35 = Convertible)
1 = Non-Turbo Engine (2 = Turbo)
4 = Check Digit
H = 1987 Model Year
0 = Hiroshima Plant

I wonder how many ITS cars have the correct VIN numbers? I wonder if the 84-85 GSL-SE has a specific VIN and how many ITS first gens have the correct VIN.

-billy