PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen hub/spindle/brake cross compatability?

Steve Ostrovitz
08-15-2002, 09:46 PM
This was touched on in a recent post, but is there anything specific anyone can tell me about converting a 4 lug car to 5 lugs?

Are hub/spindle/caliper/rotor setups all cross compatible? In other words, can I bolt on any year five lug setup once I take the old stuff off? Is there a year to look for or to avoid?

Thanks,

Steve

C. Ludwig
08-16-2002, 11:45 AM
They're all the same. You can get the five lug setup of any NA or Turbo car. You'll need the hub w/bearings, rotor, calipers and both brake lines. There is a flexible line and a hard line that attaches directly to the caliper that you'll need. For the rear you'll need the hub, rotor and caliper.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Steve Ostrovitz
08-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks Chris, just what I needed to know. I have an early non-sunroof car in great shape but it's four lug.

Steve

Mazmarc
08-16-2002, 10:16 PM
One more thing Steve. I believe the booster is slightly larger for the 5 lug. That should complete your swap. A bias control for the rear will help also.

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I

C. Ludwig
08-17-2002, 09:01 PM
And I don't believe all 5 lug cars get the 4 piston calipers. Make sure th car has the brakes you want before you buy it.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Steve Ostrovitz
08-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the additional heads up guys. I'm sharing an '89 this year (doing every other race) but this plan to build my own just came up and am trying to get a head start on it for next season by getting all the parts together now. I appreciate the advice.

Marc, you don't know me but I'm Nick's teammate. I know you've given him a lot of helpful input on his project so I'm already benefitting from your experience with these things. My project wouldn't be happening without him so I'm in good hands.

Thanks again to both of you.

Steve

jrx13
08-18-2002, 10:01 AM
I have heard the booster is bigger. Is it really needed? I just did the swap without it. I have heard it gives a better pedal feel though so I am wondering if I should try and find one.

Thanks,
Jack