PDA

View Full Version : another Oil Cooler question (or 2)

Speed Raycer
08-02-2002, 12:15 AM
Do second gen RX's have a remote oil cooler like the early 1st gens? If so, will a second gen O/C work on a first gen(mounting issues aside for now)? What is different between them?

The reason I'm asking is that our 79-82 oil cooler cracked around the fitting and the local yards seem to have all kinds of 2nd gens but not many 79-82s. {edit} oh... and we've got a race on Saturday!!!!

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it
Izzy's Custom Cages (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com)
http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/rudder_racing/images/RX7_Pictures/SRsRX/SRsRX7.jpg

[This message has been edited by Speed Raycer (edited January 05, 2004).]

paulydee
08-02-2002, 12:43 AM
All Second gens have a nose mounted Air/Oil cooler.

Paul

Karl Bocchieri
08-02-2002, 10:02 AM
The 2nd gen oil cooler is the best you can get. Much better than any aftermarket cooler. Just to make sure you get it cleaned before you hook it up.

rlekun
08-02-2002, 05:56 PM
....and rules infraction issues aside (if we're talking IT here)

C. Ludwig
08-02-2002, 10:54 PM
I think there might be slight difference in the location of the ports. No biggy. The stock setup on the 2nd gen uses banjo bolts. If it doesn't bolt right up Mazdatrix and Racing Beat (probably Mazda Comp) sells -AN adapters. Check the 2nd gen boards and partstrader.com. Can usually be had for less than $50.

Who's breaking rules?

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

rx7chris
08-03-2002, 12:49 PM
I'm using a 2nd gen oil cooler in mine. Had to use the 2nd gen lines as well. 1st gen's are made for the cooler to be under the radiator. With the tall radiator and the cooler mounted in front they dont reach. With the 2nd gen lines you have persuade the hard part of the rear line a little to keep it from rubbing the motor. You'll also have to create a hole in the radiator support for the lines to go through. its a little tight but it works. drop me an e-mail if you need a cooler. I've got one from a car that was wrecked. The guy had it put on about 2mos. earlier, basically brand new from mazda.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing

Karl Bocchieri
08-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Rlekum, read the rules, oilcoolers are free.

balz
08-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Chris,

I'd be interested in the Second Gen cooler for my 1st gen.

Drop me an e-mail with the specifics.

[email protected]

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

balz
08-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Chris...no e-mail in your profile or in your post...I am interested in your 2nd gen oil cooler...please drop me an e-mail.

Thanks!!! [email protected]

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

backformore
08-17-2002, 04:08 PM
A question for Karl B.

Where do you get your oil coolers cleaned? Any suggestions what to look for or what to stay away from? I've got 3 of them, all need to be cleaned and one needs to be repaired, if that ends up being worthwhile.

Thanks for the input.

Rory

Speed Raycer
08-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Hey Back4more.... check back on like page 6 or 7 ... there's a whole discussion on getting the coolers cleaned....

C. Ludwig
08-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Ultra sonic cleaning seems to be the prefered method. Having said that I sent mine to Mazdatrix. All the local rad shops just said "huh?" when I asked them about ultra sonic. When I got the cooler back the exterior was much cleaner. The cooler had overspray on it before and all that was gone. Be1tween the fins looked cleaner too. Inside (what I could see) still had much gunk in it though. I bathed it in kerosene and then flushed it with the same. The next cooler I did I skipped the ultra sonic and went straight to the K1. Got alot of crap out. Kept flushing till it was clean. Short story...I haven't killed a motor yet. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

steve s
08-17-2002, 10:13 PM
i don't think you are allowed to cut any holes in the radiator support. you have to use existing holes to run the lines.