PDA

View Full Version : Spring Rates- 2nd Gen ITS

Aged racer
08-06-2002, 11:12 PM
What seems to the hot tip for spring rates these days (front + rear). I've heard 500-600 lbs in the front (I'm currently running much lower than that).

I'm happy with the way the car handles, but wonder if I am giving up some overall cornering power.

Any comments/ suggestions ??

Quickshoe
08-07-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Aged racer:
I'm happy with the way the car handles, but wonder if I am giving up some overall cornering power.

Any comments/ suggestions ??

Increasing the wheel rate will decrease the amount of grip that tire can generate. The problem is that we need stiff rates to reduce the travel (keeping our alignment in a happy place) and if we go too soft we wont be able to run the car low without bottoming.

Like everything else it is a compromise. If you do go much stiffer than what you are running now, be prepared to get your struts re-valved.

Incidently, I did find that going stiffer than the norm on my 1st gen did make it faster and more responsive, but also made it less forgiving to my mistakes.

If you are happy with the handling now maybe you ought to just leave it alone.

paulydee
08-07-2002, 03:08 AM
Currently I am running 7" 400lb springs in front and 6" 275lb springs in the rear. Seems to work OK.

Pauly D

frazer
08-07-2002, 09:56 AM
i have been wondering about the same thing. i know it depends on the track as well. i just purchased a coil-over kit and they gave me 350# springs for the front and 225# for the rear. after all the talk, i think these (esp. the fronts) are too soft. haven't taken the car out on the track yet, so... first track event isn't until mid sept. guess i'll check it out and see. by the way, the track is summit point in west va.

thanks,

mike

dickita15
08-07-2002, 02:04 PM
all things considered, springs are cheap, easy to change and make a huge diffence in the feel of the car.
dick

C. Ludwig
08-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Ground Control set me up with 400# fronts and 250# rears. The car has been very easy to drive and pretty fast out of the box. I'd recommend that as a starting point. Might depend on what shock you'll be using too. A poorly matched shock will create handling ills too.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Aged racer
08-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback- I checked a bit more tonight, according to the notes I got with the car, the current set up is 285 lbs in the front and 240 lbs in the rear. Looks too soft, based on everyone's comments.

My primary track is Summit as well (VIR is actually closer but fewer events), if that piece of info helps.

Think I'll try the 400/ 300 range combination, see if it makes a difference.

Steve Strickland- ITS # 34
Blue Ridge Region

Karl Bocchieri
08-07-2002, 10:54 PM
It all depends on your shocks,
people used to run tokio ultimas or Gab shocks and because they weren't heavy duty units they ran 275-300 front springs. Now everyone has Konis, Bilsteins or better and you can run stiffer springs to control the car and not overheat the shocks.
My 7 seems to be best with 375-400 front and 250-225 rear with Koni single adjustables. Big front swaybar and no rear bar. Also don't get the car too low, it screws up the suspension geometery.

frazer
08-08-2002, 09:58 AM
speaking of swaybars, what's the concensus on running a rear bar? yea or nay?

thanks,

mike
'90

BrianB
08-08-2002, 09:48 PM
My 86 is as yet a dual purpose car I'm running autocross and track events,time trials etc. I'm running 325# front,225# rear,on Tokico Illuminas. Stock sport front bar,no rear bar at track events,ST rear bar for autocross. At Limerock the springs are pretty good,however there is tire rub in the upper inner wheel well from the downhill turn! Ride height is about 5.5 inches which is about as low as I can go due to the coilover collars stopping on the shock spring seat. I'm wondering at what ride height most ITS 7's are running at?
Thanks, BB