PDA

View Full Version : '89-'90 Airflow meter

Aged racer
08-05-2002, 08:26 AM
HELP ! Have finally located an airflow meter from a late 2nd gen RX7, but I do not have the "plug" or connector end from the wiring harness to the a/f meter itself. Should be a 5-pin connector.
Would appreciate any help, direction, suggestions, etc.. (Of course, will be glad to pay something reasonable as well).

Steve Strickland (540-772-8284 home, 540-387-1111 work, or the email address shown)

Karl Bocchieri
08-05-2002, 07:20 PM
You can't use the earlier wire harness and just change the plug to the later style. You need to change the whole front wire harness and the computer for the later air flow meter to work. If you just need the plug because yours is broken you have to scrounge it up at the junk yard. Mazda motorsports sells it with the harness only.

C. Ludwig
08-05-2002, 07:45 PM
.......and if you do all that you'll need the other harness too, and the OMP and the later injectors. Basically anything electrical.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Aged racer
08-05-2002, 09:58 PM
I have the later ECU, intake manifold, etc. I bought this stuff from Bret at Rotary Performance, who supposedly did the same conversion to his'87 ITS Mazda. Supposedly all I have to do is "merge" one wire from the old harness to the '89 plug. (Sounds too easy, doesn't it?)

Anyway, I'm DOA unless I can find that connector. My local junk yards typically don't keep the tubs very long- I can wait until they get a later one, but that may be awhile.
Hoped someone had a spare they could part with !

A/R

C. Ludwig
08-05-2002, 11:30 PM
Bret might know something the rest of don't. If you can make it work let me know. I'd love to adapt one of those to another project I have!

Chris

Karl Bocchieri
08-07-2002, 11:03 PM
I would also like to know, I have never heard anyone was able to make the two systems compatable with each other. By the way, I have read on other Mazda web sites that back to back dyno runs show only a few of HP difference between the systems.