PDA

View Full Version : Rotor saga....

balz
08-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Ok,

I am curious...What is everyone running on their 1st Gen ITA (IT-7) Rx's.

I have run Mazda Comp bought rotors (last 2 weekends), Brembo, Reybesto's, knock-offs...

Everything I get seems to crack after two weekends.

What is everyone using?

rx7chris
08-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Dont laugh,
I use rotors bought at my local discount auto parts store. But before i put them on the car I throughly clean them, then give them a couple of heat cycles at work in a self-clean oven. temp's get anywhere from 900 to 1000 deg. oven takes a while to get to temp and a while to cool down. after baking they're pretty much good to go. That's my hand-me-down secret of the day.

P.S. i've gone 2 weekends and an enduro on current set. hawk blues on all corners, and still no cracks. not even the little ones.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing

08-05-2002, 05:23 PM
"What is everyone using?"

brake ducts and shhhhhhh, misters from the washer bottle, attach the washer pump wires to your brakelight sender switch but dont tell anyone shhhhhhhh.

rlekun
08-05-2002, 06:32 PM
But seriously folks....

I had the same problem with cracking rotors until I switched to the Mazda Comp duct system that ducts air to the center of the rotor and started buying heat treated rotors from Porterfield (the last set were Brembos). Haven't cracked a rotor since...of course I keep a close eye on them and change them when you start to see too much of the surface "spidering".

Hope that helps.

balz
08-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Humm....Porterfield heat treated rotors...now there's a thought.

What are you paying for a front rotor, if you don't mind me asking?

BTW.. I tried cryo treating and NO DIFFERENCE....

I have had ducting for the past year that that helps SOME...but not a lot.

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

rlekun
08-06-2002, 05:48 PM
balz,

I don't remember the price off the top of my head, but i think they were either $56 each or $65 each.....which is what I paid when I ordered "OEM" rotors from the local dealer.

Larry