PDA

View Full Version : What's a better way to remove the sound proofing?

benracin
07-02-2002, 06:44 PM
I'm trying to remove that black tarish material on the floor of an 83 rx7. I've been using a chisel and then using gas for what I couldn't get with the chisel but there's still a lot of little little pieces. There's got to be a better way, right? And is there anything I shouldn't chisel off? I tried searching but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the help!

Silkworm
07-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Dry Ice Dry Ice Dry Ice..

get 20lbs of it.. Spread it out over the floor of the car, wait for the cracking to stop, then take a small hammer to the tar.. Cracks right off.

PaulC

C. Ludwig
07-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Yep. What he said. Cold, cold, cold. No heat. No solvent. They're too messy. We heat the stuff at the factory to make it stick...not to get it off.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

benracin
07-02-2002, 08:16 PM
Sweet, thanks a lot. So where do I find 20 pounds of dry ice?

C. Ludwig
07-03-2002, 09:36 AM
No sure but seems like I've heard guys say a welders supply shop. Be a start anyway.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Silkworm
07-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Yep, welder's supply/industrial gas supply

PaulC

Chris Wire
07-03-2002, 01:40 PM
You might try something as simple as looking up "ice" in the yellow pages. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I bought mine from a company that services fairs, golf tournaments, catering functions, and festivals. Their whole business is ice. Paid $10.95 per 10# block. It was so easy I'd have paid more!

My 2nd gen. used 40# because the ambient temp in Fla. makes it less effective, especially in the summer. I layed garbage bags over the top, then towels for added insulation. I let mine sit a minumum of 1/2 hour to be effective, but in retrospect 45-60 mins would work better.

When I built my first car, I was the guy with the hairdryer and scraper. Never again!

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

balz
07-03-2002, 03:58 PM
ok...

Here is my .02 on how to QUICKLY remove sound-proofing from an RX....

This method was tried recently by myself on my crew chief's car and it worked great. We tried the DRY ICE deal and got "limited" results....

I grabbed a screw-driver and started "scraping" the sound proofing and found it came up pretty quickly....SO...
I grabbed my air compressor and my air chisle and in about an hour the entire car was completely stripped.

Don't have an air compressor??? You can rent one from most any rental shop near you for a day (you won't need it any longer then that). Air Chisle can be bought at Wal-Mart for about $20. Use the FLAT chisle that comes with most kits and be CAREFUL around seams....

Also....here is a tip....start by pointing the chisle straight down and use it to "breakup" some of the more ridgid pieces....then put the chisle between the sound proofing and the sheet metal and go for it...

Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

Allen Brown
07-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Now...If you lived in the Great White North. You simply take a hammer to the sound deadening material once the outdoor temp has dropped 10 or so degrees below freezing. The material comes off very quickly. My Rx7 was finished in about an hour.

Of course...since it is summer now, I certainly hope none of us have to experience freezing temps...

C. Ludwig
07-04-2002, 02:33 PM
I use an air chisel too. Be very careful with them. They like to shear right through the floorpan.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Rex B
07-06-2002, 11:59 PM
I'll vote for the air chisel also. Took me all of an hour to do mine. Wear safety glasses, those chips really fly!
Shop vac will be really useful so you can see what you are doing after you sling chips all over the interior.
I had very little that needed solvent. Went back with some white paint (car is white) and you can't tell it ever had anything but bare metal.

Barwick
07-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Yes, dry ice.. that's what I used during the winter and it came off real easy.

Get it at most party stores, OR you can look up dry ice in the yellow pages and some stuff might come up in the search. There's a few around Flint, that's where I did mine while I was at school.

Barwick
07-08-2002, 02:45 PM
oops.. double post.. forum is weird

[This message has been edited by Barwick (edited July 08, 2002).]

benracin
07-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Well I looked up dry ice on qwestdex and found a place near my home that only deals with ice. 2 10 pound blocks cost me 22 bucks and it worked great. I already had the driver side pretty much done with a hammer and scraper but this was much cooler. Plus it makes the inside of the car spooky. Now I'm going to try some gas soaked rags to do the rest of the clean up and paint the sucker. I think it will be looking nice soon. Thanks for the advice!