PDA

View Full Version : Oil Presure

Weaver7
06-25-2002, 10:52 PM
The past weekend I noticed a problem with the oil preasure in my RX7 (1980 12A). When I first start the car the PSI is around 30-40 pounds. After the race coming into the paddock it was only pulling about 5 pounds and the warning light came on. It drops to around 5 when running between 1000-1500 RPMs.
If I rev the motor it jumps up with no problem at all. During the race at about 6600 RPMs it is pulling around 70-80 PSI. The oil level is right at the full mark....It does have a second oil filter on the line running into the oil cooler. I run Redline 40wt and change the oil after each event. Thanks for any help you can give me.

rlekun
06-28-2002, 02:12 PM
I suspect your're not truly at 5 lbs...the engine won't last long at that pressure. I assume you're using a add-on gauge, not the stock unit...
- Is this gauge accurate? If so...
- Is the oil pump failing? If not...
- Is oil pure (no water has crept in?) If so...
- Is any of your cooling routes crimped or blocked?
- Is the pressure regulator stock? Is it failing (just replace it and see). Suggest shimming new regulator or using Racing Beat version.

wlfpkrcn
06-30-2002, 01:53 AM
HEre's what happened to my 12A. There is an oring in the front cover on the left side. If your pressure is at 100psi cold like mine the oring will blow out. When you increase rpm's the pressure and flow will over come the blown oring. The fix I got from my friend who builds GT engines is to use a thinner oring and Mazdabond the front cover instead of a gasket. This way you have a basically metal to metal surface and the oring has less tendency to push out (what would be the gasket). He also said be careful not to put to much silicone by the oring there is a small oil port there for the oil metering pump. It is easy to check if you think this may be your problem. Pull the pan and you will probably see the oring pushed out.