PDA

View Full Version : Safe Oil and Water Temps on a 2nd Gen RX7?

AS-RACER
06-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a 2nd Gen ITS car that I race in Colorado and I regularly run 190 water temp and 260 Oil temp. I don't like to run 260 oil temp but I have 2 stock oil coolers that are ducted seperately and it still runs that hot (even when I short shift temperatures don't drop that much). I am wondering if it is safe to run oil temps this hot. We race at about a mile high altitude and don't get a lot of air up here. I know that it is different from running at sea level but I am wondering if there is a better oil cooler that I can get or what else that I can try to bring the oil temps down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sean S.

Rob May
06-19-2002, 09:09 PM
It would be nice to have it lower, but...my motor has lasted 5 seasons so far running 260-300. USE MOBIL 1 OIL. 20W50. It is still strong!

backformore
06-20-2002, 11:02 AM
Wow! 260 -300. That's alot more than I would have expected was acceptable. Rob, do you have a temp that you consider too hot to continue at which point you come into the pits? Or do you just get as much cooling as you can and take whatever temp you get (until one day it lets go)?

Rory

lee graser
06-21-2002, 10:33 AM
If your high oil temp is oil returning to the engine at 260---it is way high---may be 300 comming out of the engine and you are likely to have problems---

on the other if you read 260 in the oil pan you are in much better shape---BUT this is still at the limit of oil breakdown.

The oil to water oil cooler (fulidyne ?? sp?? I think) from ISC in florida has had good results it the heat of july racing in the SE.