PDA

View Full Version : MSD Setup for 84-85 13B (GSL-SE)

Allen Brown
06-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Sorry for posting this question. I know it was posted previously...I even printed it off because I knew I was going to need it..But...Well you already know the answer.

Does anyone have any literature or instructions for adding a MSD box to my lead ignition?

Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------

jrx13
06-12-2002, 02:04 AM
Well, I know of at least two ways. One is the regular way of getting the signal from the leading coil and the other is getting the signal straight from the igniter. Also, I dont know if it is a legal mod, but you can run two coils on your leading and use the distrbutor cap and rotor only for trailing. Check www.mazspeeed.com (http://www.mazspeeed.com) for the install and some links.

jrx13
06-12-2002, 02:07 AM
sorry cant spell...thats www.mazspeed.com (http://www.mazspeed.com)

Allen Brown
06-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply....I found my printout of the previous posting I had been saving.

One comment I noticed was Not to use the signal from the ignitors because they can be dirty.

Thanks again.

------------------

Crack Monkey
06-14-2002, 12:13 AM
jrx13 - would this be legal?

The ITCS states "Any ignition system that utilizies the original distributor for spark timing and distribution is permitted"

I would think the dizzy would need to distribute all sparks, not just some, to satisfy this requirement.

edit - for spelling and stuff

[This message has been edited by Crack Monkey (edited June 14, 2002).]

Allen Brown
06-14-2002, 09:53 AM
The way I interpret the rules is Yes, it is legal.

The spark is only increased in duration and intensity. Triggered at same point (by same piece), signal is received by MSD box, then to coils, and off to spark plugs.

If I am incorect in the legal statement, and others have different interpretations. Please explain where I am differing from your thoughts.

Thanks

Crack Monkey
06-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Adding an MSD box would be ok as long as the spark still passes through the dist cap on it's way to the plugs.

The method jrx13 mentioned (using extra coils that fire directly to the plugs) would be illegal, as the dist cap no longer handles the distribution of the sparks.

Allen Brown
06-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Yes, your correct. If I was use a direct fire method, then yes...that is Illegal.

With the 1st gen RX7 where the distributor exists, the ideal way (and more costly) would be to run one MSD box for each trail and lead ignition. Based on what I have been able to find out most of the ignition is from the LEAD. So the most noticable gain is from adding the lead MSD .

Thanks for the comments.

------------------