PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Understeer

backformore
06-01-2002, 08:00 PM
I just finished my first race weekend (at CMP) with my new to me ITS RX7. This is the first time I have raced in 5 years and had a great time. I used to race an ITA RX7 so my perceptions of the new car are relative to the old one.

The ITS car seems to really push and work the front tires in the corners, especially the slow ones. With the ITA car, you had to worry about melting the rear tires off before the end of the race. ITS car seems to require just the opposite. I'd like to know if it is:

1) The nature of the beast, live with it.

2) Driving technique. i.e. Don't over drive the corner, get on the gas sooner, etc.

3) A setup problem. Need more front tire pressure, stiffer front bar, etc.

I realize that the "answer" is probably some combination and can not really be determined by the info I've provided, but I am curious to hear other's opinions.

Here is what I think. The car needs to be driven more with the throttle. Unlike the ITA car, I need to encourage a litte sliding in the rear to help the car turn in and unload the front tires. The rears were noticeably cooler (15-20 degrees) than the fronts, so they should be able to take it.

I was really focusing on staying on the track and finishing the weekend, so I was being very deliberate about late apexes and avoiding anything that might result in a spin or off course excursion.

Thanks for your input.

Rory

ITSRX7
06-01-2002, 08:30 PM
I think if you post your set up, you would get some food for thought.

Spring rates, shock settings, tire pressures, etc.

AB

paulydee
06-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Basically what I have found is that you should run a lot of front negative camber to prevent burning off the out side of the tires. I run about 2.75 negative on both fronts. Try not to run more than .5 negative int he rear. Also a lot of people us the stock front sway bar and remove the rear bar completely. It helped balance my car out. After that it would have to be some suspension tweaking.

Paul
73 ITS
Indy Region

BALLZOUT
06-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Wow, I've never heard of a push in a 2nd gen. to my knowledge they always feel a little lose, or maybe thats just my sideways style.Also it might have been the track and maybe even just a few corners, every now and then a few tracks I race on do have a few corners that want to take the front end out. Reply w/set up info also. Rick

backformore
06-06-2002, 10:15 AM
I will post set up results next week. I'm going out of town and I do not have the info handy.

I do think my driving style was a big contributer. I need to get on the throttle earlier which may loosen the rear up.

Anyway, I'll post what I believe the setup is next week.

Thanks for the input.

Rory