PDA

View Full Version : wheel studs/suspension parts

Spec737
05-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Anyone have a source or thoughts on an economical alternative to wheel studs and nuts other than mazda comp?

Also the rubber boots on the front suspension parts are torn. Any experience replacing those without replacing the whole suspension? I have a really tight budget this year. Thanks

Rob May
05-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Call Speedsource on the wheel studs. They have a real nice metric replacement that requires no drilling. Talk to Sylvain, or Sandy 954-578-7071.

Spec737
05-13-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the help Rob!

Karl Bocchieri
05-13-2002, 08:34 PM
If your on a budget you should get studs made by ARP. You can get them at Summit or any other performance parts distributor.
ARP-100-7708 at about $12.00 for a pack of five is way less expensive than anywhere else.

Rex B
05-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Good tip, Karl.

Now what do you use for nuts?
Anyting special?

Karl Bocchieri
05-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Mazdamotorsports has open end lugnuts in the right thread, just call them.

What boots are you talking about? The steering rack boots are easy to change and are cheap, just need to align the front end after your done. The rear CV joint boots are much harder to fix, but it's easy to just swap out the axle instead of repairing it.

[This message has been edited by Karl Bocchieri (edited May 14, 2002).]

Spec737
05-15-2002, 11:45 AM
The boots I'm talking about are on the lower control arm that cover the ball joints. There are also some rubber boots that cover the tie rod ends. What I'm not clear on is if I have to replace the whole assembly or can I pack some greas around the ball joints and replace the covers.

Chris Wire
05-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Karl Bocchieri:
Mazdamotorsports has open end lugnuts in the right thread, just call them.

I like to use the lug nuts from the 89-91 CRX. They are a 19mm head instead of 21mm, so the socket has more room inside the wheel. Plus, they have a small shoulder where the taper meets the hex, which keeps the nut from disappearing inside the socket. Wagner PN BD61288, cost me $1.49/ea. and I got them locally so I didn't have to wait on UPS. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

Mazmarc
05-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Spec737:
The boots I'm talking about are on the lower control arm that cover the ball joints. There are also some rubber boots that cover the tie rod ends. What I'm not clear on is if I have to replace the whole assembly or can I pack some greas around the ball joints and replace the covers.

I believe the reason the boot on the ball joint tears is because its actually melting from the extreme brake temps. ISC Racing Services sells a soft plastic cap that replaces the rubber boot. I just try to keep it clean and keep grease on it.
If you dont know the history of this car, I would replace the tie rod ends to ensure they are operating correctly.

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I

Spec737
05-15-2002, 05:04 PM
I appreciate it. Mazdacomp sells some urethane boots that are supposedly more durable. I need to get some other items anyway so I'll add those to the list. Thanks for the help.

------------------

dickita15
05-31-2002, 10:05 AM
i too need studs for my ita rx and do not like the 1 3/4" ones from mazda comp. would like 2 1/2"-3". i looked up,the summit number posted and they are not a screw in stud so i called speedsource and they no longer carry tht screw in studs. what now, what am i missing.
dick patullo

Karl Bocchieri
05-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Dick,
The 2nd gen cars have push in studs, some cars like VW,Audi, and others think that Bolts are stronger than studs and nuts. Which leads to trouble when you use aftermarket wheels and spacers. Somebody has to make them,just ask around.