PDA

View Full Version : FC ITS rules

dcamcoTII
05-14-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi, I just recently purchased a second seven to use for ITS racing. its an 89 GXL and I was wondering what kind of requirements must be met and what can be done and what cant be done to race in this class. Any help would be great, I'd also like to see some pics of others setups. Thanks in advance

TURN9
05-14-2002, 10:48 PM
SCCA GCR Rulebook, this site, GCR Rulebook, and factory owners manual, along with GCR Rulebook.

------------------
Corey L. Clough
ITS RX7 Soon-To-Be
[email protected]

ITSRX7
05-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Corey is right on. Get the current GCR. DON'T take ANYONE'S word for ANYTHING. You need to have a copy of the rules and you need to KNOW them.

Every forum out there has people who misquote the rules by accident. It has happened here as recently as the last month.

Good luck, have fun and welcome.

AB

Chris Wire
05-15-2002, 11:40 AM
These are intended to be GENERAL statements regarding the build-up of your car. As was said, it is extremely important that you have, read, and UNDERSTAND the GCR as it pertains to your car. This forum is an excellent source of info, but will not stand up under appeal if anyone here provides you with incorrect information. That said, here goes:

1) Roll cage - Six point minimum, max eight point allowed, details in the GCR.

2) Engine - rebuild to factory specs allowed, including balancing and blueprinting. No porting allowed on rotary engines. Intake is free in front of the AFM, but must remain stock from AFM to throttle body. No ram air. Exhaust is free but must exit car behind the driver.

3) Suspension - Coilovers allowed but only as sleeves installed over smooth-body shocks/struts. No threaded body shocks. As of 1/1/03, no more than 2 adjustments on shocks, and no resevoir-type units. Any shocks/struts as long as they use the OEM mounting points. Sway bars are free. Bushings can be changed, but consult other threads on this forum for opinions on what is legal. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

4) Chassis - Interior trim can be removed. Exceptions would be the dash, door panels (unless replaced w/ .060" alum), and the heater core. A/C can be removed. Seats can be removed and driver's seat can (read: should) be replace w/ a proper racing seat.

5)Wheels/brakes - 15x7 maximum size for RX7s. Any DOT legal tire, any wheel offset allowed provided the tire does not stick out beyond the fender. Since you have a GXL, you have the proper 4-puck brakes, any pad is allowed. Brake lines are open so use the braided type for safety. Calipers and master cylinders must be stock.

That's a start. The glory is in the details. You can do very little and go racing early on, or you can decide to do it all before getting out there. Your choice. Concentrate on safety first, reliability second, and then legality and competitiveness from then on. Good luck with your project.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

ITSRX7
05-15-2002, 12:49 PM
OUTSTANDING Chris!!!

AB

Mazmarc
05-15-2002, 01:41 PM
Dont encourage him Andy. Where's my shoes CW????
Seriously though, Chris is right on target. He should know. He in the SLOW process of building one right now. Get with it hero.

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I

dcamcoTII
05-15-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanks alot guys for all of your help, I'll be sure and pick up a rulebook asap. as far as the door panels and dash are concerned...can only the panels be replaced with aluminum, or dash also? Thanks again and I look forward to talking to you guys some more.

------------------

dcamcoTII
05-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Also, where's the best place to get the rulebook from?

Chris Wire
05-15-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Mazmarc:
Dont encourage him Andy. Where's my shoes CW????
Seriously though, Chris is right on target. He should know. He in the SLOW process of building one right now. Get with it hero.

Shoes are on the way, early next week. See I only stock MENS sizes, not little boys! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif And while you are mowing the lawn on Sunday I'll be bopping around Moroso in the 99 car!

SLOW process?? Who me? I talked to my on-again, off-again, now on-again cage builder this week. He has just changed locations, so I should be able to have the car ready for the cage within 2 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed!

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

frazer
05-15-2002, 04:55 PM
chris, i was looking at the red 2nd gen on your site. what kind of wheels are those? i see quite a few ITS guys running the same wheel.

thanks,

mike

Chris Wire
05-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Mike,

Those wheels are the BBS wheels from any RX7 convertible. Unfortunately, they are only 15x6.5 so they will ultimately be my rain wheels. I just bought some Borbet Type S wheels to be my main wheels. Cheap at $89 ea. from Tire Rack.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

frazer
05-16-2002, 08:49 AM
thanks. my mistake. i thought those were the american racing wheels. i think it's AR who makes the mesh wheel some its guys are using. still shopping for wheels. damn, tire rack quoted me $115 for the Type S wheel. i was trying to get some ideas for pricing and specials. he said they have a scratch and dent discount section but didn't know how to access it.

thanks,

mike

Chris Wire
05-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Mike, don't beat yourself up. Periodically, Tire Rack has specials on wheels which are highlighted in yellow on their website. I just happened to get lucky, so I bought 8! Keep checking back though, you'll find something.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]