PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen upper control arms

rlekun
05-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Are the upper arms on the rear suspension the same on all 1st Gens...even between the rear drum or disk set-up?

TURN9
05-06-2002, 11:14 AM
If you are going to swap the drum rear end for a disc rear, then yes, the upper and lower control arms are the same. I don't know about the GXL-SE rear. The driveshaft might not be the same where it bolts to the differential. Get the driveshaft that comes with the disc rear too. Just make sure that the control arms aren't bent. that will throw off your suspension geometry, and alignment checks. I hope this answers your question.

------------------
Corey L. Clough
Ex-1st Gen, Pre-2nd Gen
[email protected]

rlekun
05-06-2002, 02:38 PM
Actually I already have the rear disc set-up, but I need an extra set of upper links as a back-up in case i don't like the TriLink set-up I just installed (because you have to take the bearings out of the upper links with the TriLink).
The local scrapyard has an early 1st Gen with the rear drums, so if those links are interchangeable with my 85 rear disc set-up then I'm in business.

CrunchyFrog
05-06-2002, 03:25 PM
They are interchangable.

jrx13
05-07-2002, 01:16 AM
Did you install the tri-link yet? I put an older one in and am having trouble doing the driveshaft alignment. Right now it clunks ALOT on decel but on accel it is ok. I am wondering if this a characteristic or I got it in wrong.

Thanks,
Jack

rlekun
05-07-2002, 09:58 AM
Jack,

All the brackets are installed but that's it. I need to get fuel cell installation completed before I can road test. I'll let you know. Call Jim Susko about your clunking problem.

FYI...I'm bringing the old watts link and an extra set of upper links to my first track session ....just in case.