PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen fuel cell size?

Rx7Carl
05-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Can I get opinions on a correct capacity cell for sprint races? How bout enduros?
TIA

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

GEO46
05-01-2002, 01:09 PM
Define sprint races. For enduros, I would definetely go with a 22gal cell.

05-01-2002, 01:18 PM
you will use 6 to 8 gal in 30 min depending on gear ratios and nad size.
IT rules say it cant be larger than the 16 gal stock tank, I have the 16 becuase I plan on running enduros plus the car needs more as end weight.

GEO46
05-01-2002, 07:50 PM
7'sRacing, could you direct me to where the GCR says the fuel cell capacity cant be more than the stock fuel tank? I seem to have overlooked that little tid bit.

balz
05-02-2002, 12:47 AM
Yeah...Me too...that is a new one on me...

Dave Damouth
05-02-2002, 06:49 AM
Geez 7's, rule number 1 of the forum: Don't quote the rules! Now Dewhurst is going to want to debate the INTENT vs. actual. Keep it up and you'll be relegated to the Honda section..... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

plank
05-02-2002, 06:54 AM
We have 12 gallons which is fine for sprint races up to an hour or so, but you need at least 16 for the enduro races and I would go 22. One front runner in ITS in enduros has a 22 gallon cell in a 2nd gen and I can't find any rules that limit fuel cell size only where you can put the cell. 22 gallons should give you a solid 2+ hours in the car.

REP

TURN9
05-02-2002, 09:37 AM
I ran 1.5 hours straight in PRO-7 trim with a stock tank around Willow Springs in August @ Night (NASA), before I saw the fuel pressure guage flutter(if this helps you).

------------------
Corey L. Clough
Ex-1st Gen, Pre-2nd Gen
[email protected]

balz
05-02-2002, 10:18 AM
Speaking of rules and Honda's, dont you think they need an extra 150 pounds added (GRIN). I think that should be the rules topic of the day (GRIN).

05-02-2002, 01:37 PM
go honda? never..
cell capacity rule isnt in GCR, I believe I read it in fasttrack.
it read like..."stock tank may be replaced with fuel cell provided maximum capacity is no greater than stock"
ill try to dig it up.

rx7chris
05-02-2002, 03:12 PM
If i remeber correctly. The GCR says a cell can replace a tank as long as it is no larger than 110% of stock size. By the way I have a 16gal. cell, in place of the 15 gal. tank.

Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing

racer14itc
05-02-2002, 10:34 PM
[quote]Originally posted by rx7chris:
[B]If i remeber correctly. The GCR says a cell can replace a tank as long as it is no larger than 110% of stock size. [quote]

You know, some people actually read this site looking for help and misquoting rules doesn't help. In fact, 17.12 of the GCR states "There shall be no restriction of fuel capacity or dimensions of the fuel cell, except where otherwise specified. The installation of more than one cell is permitted." Exceptions like the BMW 318 are listed on the ITCS specification line, e.g. "trunk mounted fuel cell with capacity no larger than stock." So unless your car has a limit on the ITCS spec line, you can put any size you want. I checked and the RX7 does not have any limitation on it. It seems that only BMW's and Fiat X1/9's have these limitations, perhaps due to the unusual location of the stock tank?

This is from the 2001 GCR, and the provision concerning multiple cells MAY have been modified since then but I'm not going to swear to it.

Mark Coffin

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited May 02, 2002).]

balz
05-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Just finished installing our new cell setup...

Check it out if you get a chance...

www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

Look in the Fuel Cell and New Suspension directory.

Frank

05-06-2002, 11:22 AM
looks great B, I didnt think we could relocate fuel pump im the car?

rlekun
05-06-2002, 03:05 PM
"Pump(s) may be relocated, but shall not be located in the driver/passenger compartment."

I guess the installation of the new bulkhead around balz's fuel cell means the pump is still outside the passenger compartment.

Balz, you must have had to do a lot of fabrication to create a fit of your new bulkhead and sides of the rear cargo area!

balz
05-06-2002, 03:31 PM
THAT IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT (GRIN)...

Call me "Fabbie." I tried to get some pictures of the seperation of the new bulkhead from the inside of the car. It was a PAIN IN THE A$$ to do, but I think it was worth it. It came out really nice.

I think if I had it to do again I would have run the lines to the front of the car and put the pump and filter our in the engine compartment somewhere over on the right side (but away from the header) to put the extra pound or two over there.

Anyone heading to VIR this coming weekend? Hope to see you there!

Frank