PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Replacement

backformore
04-29-2002, 06:23 PM
I've got a 2nd gen with a leaking oil cooler. I could replace with a used cooler off of a junkyard car, but I am still getting an unknown quantity in doing so (it may be partially clogged, dirty, etc.). I'd love to put a new mazda cooler on, but even MazdaComp prices are obscene.

The question is, has any one used any aftermarket, non-Mazda coolers with any success. If so, which ones and how.

Thanks for the input.

Rory

Silkworm
04-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Stephen Soo, who was the ITS champ in SF region two years ago, was running a Fluidyne oil to water heat exchanger, after his stock oil cooler. Stock oil coolers shouldn't be that expensive in pick-n-pull type places..

PaulC

------------------

balz
04-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Rory,

Where is it leaking? I know a good trick if it is the connection points where the hoses connect.

Drop me a line.

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

backformore
04-30-2002, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately, there appears to be a very small (not visible) crack where the bypass screws in. When running, a slow but steady drip forms there.

Dave Damouth
05-01-2002, 07:22 AM
I've had good luck using a small stainless bolt, washer and nut to block the bypass hole internally. Then clean it all up, get a small disc of 1/8" thick aluminum to cover the bypass threads and weld it on. If you have everything clean and ready to weld, make your disc out of 1 inch wide extruded from home depot and grind to fit. Then carry it all to your local reputable welder in its ready to weld condition, should cost about $10 to have them weld it for you. The welded plate ends any leaks, and you now have a non bypass competition cooler. Just don't fire it up in mid winter with 50 weight and rev it to 8 grand.....