PDA

View Full Version : Overheating/Blown Engine?

AS-RACER
04-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Hi,

We were racing our ITS RX7 at Pueblo this weekend and all the sudden the Oil and water Temperatures pegged. The car still sounds great but now the water temperature's are sky rocketing. I've heard that if you overheat your rotor motor, you can warp the rotor housings and the car will just keep overheating. I am wondering if this is true and if there is a check that I can do without taking the engine apart. I also am wondering what kind of internal damage can i expect?

Thanks in advance,

Sean S.

wlfpkrcn
04-29-2002, 04:13 PM
If you suspect an internal water leak there is an easy check. Make sure the radiator is topped off. Apply pressure to the cooling system with a pressure checker. Pull the plugs and let the car sit. I usually wait overnight. Check the guage for a pressure loss and chek for any external leaks. If you don't find any pull the injection fuse and have someone crank the engine. If it is hydro terminated water will come out the plug hole of the effected housing.

Good luck,
Eric

Silkworm
04-29-2002, 06:49 PM
Based on a thread that just came accross the 2nd gen RX-7 list, check your radiator cap.

Otherwise, follow the directions Eric provided.. Additionally, if you see white steam out the exhaust, or smell coolant out of the exhaust, you've probably got a rebuild in your very near future.

PaulC

AS-RACER
04-30-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try.