PDA

View Full Version : SYNTHETIC OIL IN A ROTARY

TURN9
04-12-2002, 12:32 PM
Does any have an opinion on running Synthetic Oil in a Rotary?

I've heard that because it withstands high temps, that doesn't completely leave the chamber housings...or something like that.

Corey.

CrunchyFrog
04-12-2002, 02:22 PM
That is true... Basically because the Synth oil can withstand the high temps it does not completely clear from the apex seals and degrades the seal...

Best to use high quality Castrol Etc.

balz
04-16-2002, 02:33 AM
Synthetic's have a VERY bad Heat Tranfer rate and most engine builders will tell you that they will not support problems with the engine if you run Synthetic oil.

I personally recommend Penziol 15w40 HD. It is really for a diesel engine, but the viscosity and heat transfer rates are great.

Just my opinion! BTW..>I had an oil line blow off on a new engine first race this year and I ran 1/2 a lap (long story) around road Atlanta with only damage to the rear half of the engine. I attribute the saving of the front half to the oil.

Best Regards,

Frank
#67 IT-7
SE-Div
www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

miketrier
04-20-2002, 10:21 PM
I've used Castrol synthetic 5w50 in my ITA RX7 ever since I got it in 1999. It seems to work fine. I've been told synthetic cools better and holds up to the heat better. I do not have any oil consumption problem as far as I know. I commonly rev to and beyond 8,000.

Karl Bocchieri
04-22-2002, 07:28 PM
I also use Synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my rotary for over 5 years with no problems. I don't have the stock oil injection system working as I prefer to premix 2cycle oil instead. Alot of the horror stories accour because synthetic oil dosen't burn, therefore if it's injected into the rotor it can gum things up. Im not an oil specilast but I know one, and he told me that synthetic oil that is 5000 miles old is better than new dino oil. With switching to synthetic oil and no other changes my oil temp went down 10 deg and my water temp decreased 15 degrees.

CrunchyFrog
04-22-2002, 08:44 PM
You see?

The key, the answer - use Pre-mix and you disconnect the stock oiler and you can then use Mobil 1 - this is essentially removing the problem that is caused by running Synhetic.

K

ITSRX7
04-25-2002, 10:18 AM
This is a common misconception. The new Synthetics should be fine.

When I ran a 1995 RX-7 R2 in Solo 2 and Pro Solo, I wanted to run Mobil 1. I went to the Mobil web page and found a section specifically dedicated to the question of Wankels. The main issue is the ability of the engine to burn off ash content. Mobil 1 has low ash content and was stated as safe.

My car had Redline in it from NEW (0-16K) and had Mobil 1 in it from then on (16K-75K). When I sold it, compression numbers were 8.3-8.5 in all ports. UNHEARD OF. You make the call.

CrunchyFrog
04-25-2002, 06:48 PM
It's not a misconception, I'm just out of the loop ;P

K

C. Ludwig
04-25-2002, 09:42 PM
This possibly why Racing Beat recommends synthetics (Royal Purple)?

Chris