PDA

View Full Version : IT7

Dave Damouth
03-05-2002, 08:20 PM
I felt guilty about hijacking the bypass line thread just to mess with Dewhurst, so I bumped to a new thread.

>>>On the serious side, how many ITA RX-7's are race ready in the CenDiv district 4 & how many in district 5.

I don't know who's from what district. I know Waterford hills has 6 or 8 regulars, and some mid ohio events we've fielded around 15 cars. I could list the ones I know of, but I don't know what district they're from.

By the way, the WHRRI SCCA event just showed up as an august date. I guess you WHRRI folks need to show up at a lot of cendiv events early this year so we can compare sound levels and get a feel for how loud we really are.

Everybody pipe up. How many ITA RX-7's are planning on running this year, and where are they all from?

Dave Damouth, NWOR district TBD. No more blowed up engines in 2002!

rgrunenw
03-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Dave,

I've never been to Waterford, but I'm not going to spend the time and trip to find out I'm over the sound limit, and I'm not willing to mess around with a temporary muffler setup just for this race.

I propose we pick one of the Mid Ohio Regional weekends for an ITA RX7 race. I also propose we do it informally, amongst us RX7 guys. I'm open to other tracks, but M-O always has large RX7 fields, and is located within reasonable distance to most of the cars.

Admittedly, it a bit far from Blackhawk, Road America, and Brainerd, but given the concentration of cars we would have a big field.

Alternatively, pick a three race series set up so at least two of the tracks are within driving distance of most everybody. Maybe a Mid Ohio, Road America, and something in between.

I think doing it informally amongst us guys as a part of the existing race group / class structure is the way to go; don't need to ask permission.

It would be nice to have a mailing list of the other RX7 drivers to gauge interest.

Rich

PS - "...no more blowed up engines in 2002..." means you must have fired your old engine builder.

lee graser
03-06-2002, 10:14 AM
I had heard the there was an interest in Your division to form an IT-7 class for the 1st Gen 12A's now running in ITA.----has there been any developments on this??----will you guys be adopting the same formula as SEDiv IT-7 i.e. ITA rules for IT-7---no more /no less ??------If parallel rules are adopted in Central Div.----it would open the proverbial door for all of us (IT-7 drivers) to compete at some new tracks---may be even set up some sort of interdivisional championship (official or un-official)??

Dave Damouth
03-06-2002, 11:40 AM
I would assume the rules would be the same, ITA rules only. You guys are always welcome, the cars legal for ITA. Might be an interesting experiment: If we spring for an extra trophy, can we drag some SEDIV guys up to mid ohio? Pretty sure we could manage to cover 50% of the ITA field with RX7's. Sounds like a compelling argument. How far of a drive is Mid Ohio for you Lee?

Rich- You volunteering to be the keeper of the list?

I didn't fire my engine builder, just had a long talk about using quality parts. Also found out that out of all the manuals and catalogs and books, only the RB catalog really addresses the carbon seal clearancing issue properly.....

rlekun
03-06-2002, 02:51 PM
I would be interested at M-O....haven't had the time or interest in towing much farther than that over the last few years. Would go to IRP or would like to check out that new track in western PA (Beaver-something).

PS: Since Damouth has his engine builder straightened out, that will leave more 12A's in the junk yards for the rest of us http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

Dave Damouth
03-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Rlekun-

Only time you ever caught my car was when it was sitting on pit road with missing engine parts, and you're gonna complain about MY use of Junkyard motors? You oughta get 2 or 3 of them and see if it helps! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

RacinRich
03-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Sign me up from Area 4, Detroit Region. Let's get this IT7 ball rolling. How about the "Mid-Ohio IT7 Championship" utilizing the three Mid Ohio double regional weekends. Points from 4 of the 6 races would count for a season championship. Series entrants pay a fee that would be used towards 1st, 2nd, 3rd place season trophies. We could put together some cheapo paper certificate-type trophies for the individual races. IF WE CAN GET A TENTATIVE LIST OF 15+ ENTRANTS USING THIS FORUM, I'LL COORDINATE THE TROPHIES AND POINTS.

For Waterford Hills mufflers, RX7 setups that work include any muffler with RB pre-silencers, a Supertrapp with about 10 discs, or a cheapo Thrush Turbo. One muffler setup that is too loud is a single Dynomax, although some have added a small Supertrapp cap at the exit to make it work.

Dave Damouth
03-06-2002, 05:35 PM
I'm in for the Mid Ohio IT7 Championship. Whatever district NWOR is in. I'll start going through the email list looking for participants. Suppose we can convince George to come play? Any date conflicts with the WHRRI schedule?

Mike Cox
03-06-2002, 06:11 PM
Rich What is the decible level for your area tracks? We have a limit of 103 db and with a 3" dynomax straight thru I only hit 100.

rgrunenw
03-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Dave: MidOhio IT-7 Championship sounds good to me. It's about the only track I can get halfway around on!

Since I made the crack about your engine builder, I will take care of a mailing list if everybody sends me their email address ([email protected]).

I'll then set up a little database that has names, addresses, regions, home tracks, etc. so we can get somewhat organized.

Mike: The decibel limit for the tracks I go to (IRP, Nelson, M-O) are 103. Waterford is 75 which is why I don't want to invest just to go there. My car which is straight thru to a single Dynomax has measured 88 to 93 depending on weather, where the meter is placed, etc.

RacinRich
03-07-2002, 01:09 PM
My sound-legal Waterford exhaust...Racing Beat header leading into dual 2 " straight pipes collecting into a single 2 1/2" that goes over axle, then into a cheapo ($15) Thrush muffler. I'm fairly confident that anybody can pass Waterford's sound requirement with a similar system. For extra insurance, mount a diverter bend at the muffler exit, so the exit is directed towards the RH side of car.

RacinRich
03-07-2002, 01:37 PM
FYI - The Mid-Ohio double regional race dates are:

July 6-7 (this is always a big one, 60+ car groups, so get your registration in early)

August 3-4

September 7-8 (conflicts with Waterford weekend)

Dave Damouth
03-07-2002, 02:13 PM
There's a single event at MO oct 5-6, runs a qualifying race saturday and race race sunday. Could always count those two as races, do 5 out of 8 or any other combinations that someone may think up. It's all good.

lee graser
03-08-2002, 12:32 PM
From Dave D.:

"If we spring for an extra trophy, can we drag some SEDIV guys up to mid ohio? Pretty sure we could manage to cover 50% of the ITA field with RX7's. Sounds like a compelling argument. How far of a drive is Mid Ohio for you Lee? "

Mid Ohio is about a 6 1/2 -7 hr tow from East Tennessee----(about what we tow to Savannah (Roebling)----I will pass the word to measure the level of interest

The plan the "racinrich" has proposed is pretty much what we in SEDiv did to get the IT-7 class rolling (and adopted in SEDiv)----we used a "piggy-back" series called SERC (South East RX-7 Challenge) to build driver interest ($35 entry fee for the season---trophies for the 1st 2nd 3rd placed 1st gen RX-7) at each race. We actually went to every race with monogramed trophies that we would distribut after the results were in---and we added an extra trophy for best drive of the race e.g. a 15th to 6th run, this helped the guys that ran a great race but didn't make the podium-----with Driver interest estabilished we were able to convince the RE's of SEDiv to adopt IT-7 (using ITA rules no more no less) as a stand alone class for SEDiv regional races. The Class has grown a lot since then-(3-4 yrs ago)---with a "level playing field" (one marque class) drivers are willing to build 1st gen 7's again.

Keep me posted --and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

leeg7

rlekun
03-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Dave Damouth,

No need to slam me?! I was not slamming you! My intended 'poke' was at the fact that I know you were relegated last year to using junkyard engines (several of them if I understand correctly).
I was admitting that I use junkyard engines.
I know your car is better prepared than mine will ever be, that's why I enjoy getting your's and other's input on this forum. And you're a better driver too. I'll be happy if I can just appear a little larger in your rear view mirror. I do plan to see a significant improvement this year...but, I'm sure your position at the front of the pack is not going to be threatened by me.

I apologize if I offended, I guess my joke missed the mark.

Dave Damouth
03-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Was trying to be funny Larry. Figured the big sheet eatin' grin would give it away. Nobody gets my sense of humor. Suppose maybe its 'cause I'm not funny? Naw.... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif
Sorry to upset you. Was expecting you to answer something like: "No, I passed you sitting by the side of the road in 11 with missing engine parts, by the corner station in turn 2 with missing engine parts, and while you were sitting in the stands at turn 1 with missing engine parts. Would of passed you earlier, but the smoke from your tailpipe was too thick to risk it..."

rgrunenw
03-09-2002, 01:30 PM
I will be sending the following note for publication in regional newsletters within the next day or two. The initial goal is to garner interest and momentum, then we will finalize it and go from there. Please comment before I let it fly.

(RacinRich, Dave: We should email each other with contact information to stay in sync)

Attention ITA RX7 Drivers: There is discussion underway concerning setting up an 2002 ITA RX7 Championship Series using some or all of the regional races at Mid Ohio (July 6-7, August 3-4, Sept 7-8, Oct 5-6). The goal is to promote competition and participation among ITA RX7 drivers in the area.

To keep things simple, rules would follow current ITA prep rules and race groups. Tracking of results, points, etc. would be done informally among the drivers (similar to TCC Corvettes).

At this point, we are trying to gauge interest and potential participation level. Please contact xxxxxx to indicate your interest as well as any other comments you may have.

This topic is also being discussed on the "Mazda Cars" discussion forum on www.improvedtouring.com (http://www.improvedtouring.com).

GEO46
03-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Just a quick update: in case anyone's interested in the WHRRI weekend, it's been changed to June 29-30. It is listed that way on both the SCCA Det Reg and WHRRI websites.

Sound at WHRRI: 75db at the property line. RacinRich's system is legal, so long as he keeps the muffler on:-).

DynoDave- I'ld love to come to M-O to play with you guys. Unfortunatly, finances dictate that I may not even run the entire WHRRI season:-(.

GEO46

rlekun
03-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Dave Damouth,

Thanks for the clarification. No harm here. Thats the problem with these boards sometimes...you can't tell when someone is being funny or flaming.

Again I appreciate your help and insights on this forum. The carb help your giving to 7's is great!

See you at M-O in July...or maybe IRP in May. Now I have to go out and:
- Finish installing TriLink
- Finish installing Panhard
- Replace all the front sheet metal (tire wall at MO turn 5. Great view of your battle with Jason A last Sept!)
- Replace exhaust system
- Prep for new fuel cell
- Hide visa receipts from the Mrs.

L. Newcomer

RacinRich
03-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Rich G,

I had some spare time on Friday so I've already sent an email to the webmasters of CenDiv Region websites asking them to post a message very similar to yours. At least one of the websites (NEO) already has the note posted.

Besides the websites, we should all directly contact, via phone or email, any CenDiv IT7 racers who may not frequent this forum.

Regarding the schedule, the October MidOhio weekend, "The WOR Games", typically has less entrants than other MidOhio weekends, probably because of being in the late season. I vote for not using this weekend. Stick to the three big ones and count points from best 4 out of 6 races. What do yall think?

Dave Damouth
03-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Rich M- I just emailed a spreadsheet with all the RX7 folks I could find in the last few years results to Rich G. Left some of the Waterford folks for you to fill in. You want a copy to see what contact info you can add? If so, only email I have for you is the Novi one. That ok?

RacinRich
03-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Send it my way at that address.

lee graser
03-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Just remembered the award name --HARD CHARGER----was the name of the SEDiv "extra" award that we offered the best "drive" of the IT-7 race who finished behind the podium guys, this was a VERY popular award----it gave the (us) mid-pack guys something to carry home for the mantel/braggin material for a previously unrecognized run from 15th to 4th.--I would recomment to Racinrich that this type of award be included, it generated a lot of interest/satisfaction/happy campers from the drivers

RacinRich
03-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Excellent recommendation.

ScottNutter
03-16-2002, 01:21 AM
I am just starting, hopefully. 1st School 4/20 @ Nelson. Dave, I think I have seen you run, and I won't be a contender (1:24's @ Nelson) but it sounds like a hoot, keep me informed. Work email [email protected]

BTW I am actually in the NE division (MVR)

Norm Chute
03-19-2002, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I'm Norm Chute from SCR
I currently have a car prepared to MARRS
SRX7 but would gladly see an IT7 class.

Hoping to see some 7's show up at Nelson Ledges, May 4,5 for SCR Double

Originally posted by Dave Damouth:
>>>On the serious side, how many ITA RX-7's are race ready in the CenDiv district 4 & how many in district 5.

Everybody pipe up. How many ITA RX-7's are planning on running this year, and where are they all from?

Dave Damouth, NWOR district TBD. No more blowed up engines in 2002!

[/B]

ScottNutter
03-20-2002, 01:49 AM
Norm,
I believe I have met you at Nelson, my Dad and I have both run 7's there. I thought I saw that you were selling the Spec7, no need now? Don't want to be intrusive.

[email protected]

balz
04-22-2002, 12:52 AM
BIG IT-7 turnout planned for the Mother's day race at VIR. Should I take a pole on how many of the guys would be interested in coming North to Mid-Ohio?

I for one would be glad to come up and run that track. I can think of 2-3 other's that I could drag along.

Keep us posted!

Frank
#67 IT-7 SEDiv
www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

"I live my life one apex (seal) at a time!"