PDA

View Full Version : 12A street port timing

bcarter
04-14-2002, 11:04 PM
This is about the last thing I have to do to be ready for the season. I have a streetported 12A, with the vacuum and mechanical advances disconnected. Where should I start with the timing? Running the stock Nikki carb and stock fuel pump. I know more about brain surgery than timing...

04-15-2002, 01:50 AM
pablo mobius, so cal rotary guru builds most of the motors down here for cal club, san diego regions and is always a phone call away.
661-274-2088

Quickshoe
04-15-2002, 10:23 PM
bcarter,

I am sure that you "misunderstood"...the guy who sold you the motor must have said stockported as streetported is not legal and you certainly would not have disclosed a cheater motor on a forum to all your future competitors.

bcarter
04-16-2002, 12:05 AM
I actually am talking about a street port, I just don't actually run with you guys. We are in a "spec" series up here in the frozen north, Calgary, Alberta, where we get to streetport the motors, jazz up the suspension, but don't get to touch much else. This forum is so far the best I've come across for basic RX-7 wisdom, and I have found the advice to be excellent so far...

We run in The Wheat Buckley Challenge Car Series and we run on a two mile road course with all the other classes when there is no snow. Actually the summers get pretty warm, hardly any snow!

Quickshoe
04-16-2002, 09:20 PM
bcarter,
I was in the same boat, asking questions of people on this forum that were against their rules but not mine. This site has a ton of knowledge at your fingertips.

Pablo is a pretty good guy and could probably give you a good starting point. I believe most of his knowledge is concentrated on stock ported and peripheral port motors. I've also heard that the ignition timing is best optimized on a dyno. Try racing beat's catalog, I recall that it listed timing settings (l/t) for different port configurations. Can the EP 12A be street-ported? If so, maybe the production site would be a great place to ask.

Crack Monkey
04-17-2002, 01:57 PM
Yes, the E-Production 12A is streetported.