PDA

View Full Version : Rear Camber on 2nd gen RX-7

cmstrilchuk
04-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Has anyone had or solved problems with the rear camber being different between L and R rear wheels?
I get a half degree difference all through the adjustment range (with a Mazcomp adjuster) between the two sides. Trouble is, I can't find anything that looks damaged or bent in the subframe - trailing arm assembly. What am I missing? (mutter mutter...)
Thanks in advance everyone,

------------------
Curtis

C. Ludwig
04-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Mine was off a bit too. Not 1/2 degree though. Might be ride height. With you in the car race ready check the ride height on both sides. A significant difference will effect camber. Mine was like .2 degrees or something. I just left it.

Chris

Quickshoe
04-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Curtis,

The ride height is a great starting point, not real familiar with the camber curves of a second gen, but would think it would have to be noticeably different to equal a 1/2 degree change.

If you are using a "bubble type" unit, is the floor perfectly level? If the floor appears level try pulling the car "nose in" and measuring and then back in and re-measure, did the camber measurements stay the same? If not, your floor is not level enough and you need to compensate for the slope in your concrete or measure with a square and vernier.

Happy aligning!

Karl Bocchieri
04-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Make sure that the lateral links are not bent and that both ball joints move freeley. These are often overlooked and can often mess up your rear suspension gemotery and cause suspension bind. Also make sure that the rear subframe bushings are ok. If the rear subframe is crooked it can also make alignment difficult.
With all that said, mine is also off a little. The guy at the alignment shop said they are always different.

C. Ludwig
04-06-2002, 09:38 PM
IMHO it's cool and all to be able to adjust both side with one turn of the wrench but the whole design is not the most impressive thing. Looks like it'd be very easy to have a bind or slop in the subframe bushings. Making accurate and repeatable setting hard to achieve. Just my thoughts.

Chris

balz
04-16-2002, 02:42 AM
I am almost embarrased to say that we pulled mine out and heated/bent the whole Rear assembly to set 1 degree negative.

Having a LEVEL FLOOR is a must!