PDA

View Full Version : Transponder Location

Festus E. Simkins
03-28-2002, 04:18 PM
I am getting ready, i.e., "fixin to git ready", to install a transponder on my 1st generation ITA/7 RX-7. I would like some feed back about where the best place to put it will be. I am going to get the "hard wire" type. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Drive well.

plank
03-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Festus,

I have a portable one and I put it in the left rear corner on the inside of the rail in the back. But mine is not hard wired. If you want to put it on its own circuit you would have to run quite a bit of wire, I would guess. It is protected there and as I understand it is only for timing, but does not score which is still visual so no advantage to putting it in the front.

Dick Plank

Hammer
03-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Mine is in the left front wheel well.

lateapex911
03-29-2002, 02:15 AM
I have a 1st gen RX-7. I mounted mine on the passenger side "frame" rail in the engine compartment. It is a good height, and it's in and easy to get to spot, which provided an easy installation (plenty of power options close by) and easy sevice.And I can always spot the green led with just a glance.

jake

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7

Festus E. Simkins
03-29-2002, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys I really appreciate the info.

Drive well.

rx7chris
03-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Like lateapex I put mine on the frame rail, Except i put on the driver's side, little concerned about the heat from the exhaust. Had it in the LR wheel well, then I was concerened about something knocking it off. Just my opinion.

Chris
IT7#88
PTR

jake7140
04-01-2002, 11:38 PM
I'm planning driver's side frame rail, back by the firewall. There are a couple power options nearby too. I think the exhaust heat on the pass side could cook it, and don't need to spend 3 bills to find out if it survives or not. Now if only it would GET HERE.

rlekun
04-02-2002, 07:35 AM
All,

Check out the transponder installation tips on the Milwaukee Region site. Very Helpful!

tderonne
04-02-2002, 09:44 AM
I don't have mine yet, but my brother does. He says that the instructions say the transponder can't see over 50 degress Celcius (that's 122 degrees here in the US).

That isn't very hot.

You guys can mount it where you want, it's your money. But I'm finding someplace nice and cool.

[This message has been edited by tderonne (edited April 06, 2002).]

GEO46
04-02-2002, 06:08 PM
FOUL, foul, foul. tderonne doesn't even race a Mazda, let alone a rear wheel car:-):-).

In fact, he's chief of tech at WHRRI:-)

ddewhurst
04-03-2002, 05:37 PM
GEO46, I can't beleive that Tim is a tech guy because he will not even get in a serious discuss on Head restraint or main hoops. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Come on Tim, when I come to Waterford are ya gona throw me out because my head restraint is 4 inches behind the trailing edge of the main hoop. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

Have Fun

David

tderonne
04-03-2002, 05:48 PM
You'll have an SCCA annual, so you'll be all set.

(On the main hoop stuff. I just don't buy your interpretation. I'll find your e-mail again, and try to have a stab at it.)

TURN9
04-04-2002, 05:12 AM
Try mounting it to the front left factory tie-down/tow hooh area. Tech-screw it in place and the wires will run directly to the coils for power. No problems out here in no-rust-land with picking up the lap times. Air dam or no air dam.

Corey.

ddewhurst
04-04-2002, 10:31 AM
Corey, if I had mounted my transponder on the factory tie down/tow hoop the first time into something it could be anouther $300 down the ol black hole.

Tim, we are bound to meet someplace along the way & we can talk about main hoop & head restraints. SBR double at Gingerman??????

------------------
Have Fun

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region Spec-7 #14

TURN9
04-04-2002, 11:55 AM
That should have said, "next to the tow hook". I stand corrected.