PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell Location 1st gen RX-7 (Round 2)

rlekun
04-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Okay here's what I'm down to:

I can either leave the wheel well substantially in place (except for cut out for access to inlets and fill) and then "cinch" the cell to the bottom of the wheel well. OR, I can substantially remove the wheel well (lots of cutting) and mount the cell to the resulting "floor". This approach raises the cell about 5" and places it more protected within the frame rails. However, then I need to fabricate some sort of raised bulk head to accomodate the inlets and filler cap and maybe even the fuel pump.

Sooooo, once again, how did you 1st gen RX-7 ITA'ers do it?????

Signed,
"Don't want to spend the next weekend cutting and fabricating unless there is a real benefit"

ddewhurst
04-01-2002, 02:46 PM
rlekun, I have a Spec-7 & I do not beleive anyone would protest if I put a cell in the car. Either way if I have a Spec-7, ITA or E Prod I would implement the cell to the rules. 6 inch off the ground, ok 6 1/2 inch off the ground. 15 gallons times 7 pounds per gallon equals 105 pounds.

How low have others implemented their cell, your thoughts & results.

Have Fun

David

04-01-2002, 02:57 PM
reklun knows my feelings on this but maybe i should elaborate on how i know it,
in a certain region a driver went from mid pack to championship winner by adding weight in the ass end, it is worth the extra work, but dont add lead, do it legally by using heavy material in installing your cell, need i say more.
did this in my car and it has none of the common characteristics of a tail light rx7, it handles excellent, as i said run 12-14 gallons in it and youll motor by other rx7's and crx's

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited April 01, 2002).]

dickita15
04-01-2002, 06:07 PM
rieken
unless you have a very shallow fuel cell i think you need to cut out the wheel well.
i run my car low, 5 1/2" at the rocker and my 12 gal cell is 3" below the flat floor and has 1" clearance to spare. after ther cell was mounted i just put a flat panel over the hole with j nuts.
dick

rlekun
04-02-2002, 07:33 AM
7's,

Excellent point on the weight! That's the reason I bought the steel can as well. You're convincing me. I'm hoping the added weight, my new Panhard and TriLink set-up, some stiffer rear springs, etc. will help keep the back end following the front.

DickITA,

I'm confused. It sounds like you cut out the wheel well and mounted the cell at the original floor level. So how can your cell only be 3" below the flat floor? Also, if your cell is mounted at the flat floor, how does the flat panel that you put over top of it clear the filler caps, hoses and fittings? Do you have any photos you can email me? ([email protected]) Did you drop the cell in from above or mount it from underneath? How is it supported (metal straps? or did you fabricate something?)Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to screw this up!

Thanks for your help 7's and DickITA. Anyone else, chime in!

dickita15
04-02-2002, 08:58 AM
sorry to be confusing
after the wheel well was cut out the cell was hung on two 1" x 1" pices of square tubing attached to the frame side to side.
actually the we welded 4 u shaped pieces to the frome and the square tube that is bolted to the cell drops in and is pinned with 4 bolts. i can remove the cell from below in 5 minutes. with the top of the cell 3" below the floor there was just enough clearance to cover the hole with a flat panel. if it was any higher i would have had to build a raised box. my goal was to have the weight as far back and low as possible.
dick