PDA

View Full Version : Rotary header coatings?

Chris Wire
03-21-2002, 05:58 PM
Before you blast me for this oft-discussed topic, I did use the search feature on this board and only came up w/ 2 choices. Jet Hot (I have an inquiry pending), and Airborn Coatings, and they state that their coating is great up to 1500*.

Since the rotary engine presents some obvious problems vs. a piston engine, I was wondering what everyone was using for a coating and what their experiences were.

I am ready to send off my Motorsport stainless header to be coated, and I want the best. I appreciate any info, thanks.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35

Tom Blaney
03-21-2002, 06:14 PM
I used airborn on my gt car. Worked well, no complaints. I know the external heat of the header pipe was definatly lower.

I can't say it was a hp gain, but it's one of those 10 little things that add up to more than 1 big thing.

CrunchyFrog
03-21-2002, 07:49 PM
Most of the older (I mean 1980-86) GT guys I know that ran in IMSA would box the exhaust in an actual metal box that covered it until under the car - or in the extreme even went through the firewall and was boxed there too, as oppossed to wrapping it... Wrapping caused it to degrade very fast.

Now with modern coatings, like Jet-Hot, I think they would be far superior, but boxing was the best way from heating the gas and air entering the Engine.

joeg
03-21-2002, 08:10 PM
Do you really want to coat a stainless header?

The Jet Coat stuff is not a header wrap. It is paint (albeit real good long lasting paint).

I use it (not on a rotary--I know the heat problem you have) but only to keep the header clean and slow the corrosion process.

RacinRich
03-22-2002, 09:06 AM
Jet Hot has an optional coating that is good for 2000+ degF. I've had it on my IT7 header for 5 years and the only noticeable change has been that the color (blue) has dulled a little. Speaking of color, they have a range of choices including a polished and chrome-like color.

Festus E. Simkins
03-22-2002, 02:09 PM
I run ITA/7 RX-7. I have the 2000 degree Jet Hot. I ran real lean once, i.e., I destroyed the exaust temp probes. Can you say "2100+ degrees." The jet hot peeled but the header survived. I had put it on a brand new header so it has a life time warranty. However, I have never taken it off and sent it back to be redone. Rejetted carb and now it runs 1650 to 1750 degrees. Still maybe a little lean?

Overall I like the Jet Hot coating.

Drive well.

mazdagt3
03-24-2002, 01:07 AM
why are you even spending the time and money in coating a stainless steel header? i could see your point if it were mild steel, but s/s won't rust.

definitely do not use header wrap. it will retain the heat within the exhaust but will degrade the steel significantly.

Chris Wire
03-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by mazdagt3:
why are you even spending the time and money in coating a stainless steel header? i could see your point if it were mild steel, but s/s won't rust.

You answered it yourself. I basically am considering it for two reasons. 1) Keeping the exhaust heat (heat=energy) in the system longer may serve to speed up the exhaust flow and possibly increase HP. 2) The header passes right under the intake tube to the throttle body. Keeping that item cooler would have a similar effect.

I never considered a coating to increase the life of the header.

Anyone else out there have another coating alternative?

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35