PDA

View Full Version : Disabling steering wheel lock 2G RX-7

Silkworm
03-14-2002, 04:23 AM
How'd you guys do that? I tried cutting it, wore out 3 jigsaw blades without making much of a dent.. high speed cutter on the dremel doesn't touch it either.

I thought about putting a thin piece of aluminum in there and sandwiching it between the lock and the steering shaft, there's not a lot of force on that lock piece, so it shouldnt' punch thru (22 guage aluminum).. That's the way I'm leaning, but if anyone has other ideas, I'm open.

PaulC

------------------

ddewhurst
03-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Paul, not that I would do anything that was illegal but think about drilling two holes at an angle & two roll pins. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif Remember I just said "think about it", I did not suggest that as a way of removing the steering lock.

I have read where others have used a grinder, sounds like a lot of dust & extra work. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Have fun

David

Dave Damouth
03-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Warning- I've never torn apart a second gen, so I'm not sure if its the same as a first gen. Can't imagine mazda retooling the ignition switch though, so try this: Go to Mazspeed.com, look in the Facts section. See if the pics for the first gen switch look the same as yours. Might do the trick...

ITSRotary
03-14-2002, 04:51 PM
If you can wait till I get home I'll snap a pic of mine and e-mail you. Someone on this list told me how to do it. Really easy. I removed my switch to do it but it could be done in the car. If I could see a picture I could explain it better but you drill out a cap on the bottom of the switch which removes the spring . I don't think you can remove the pin w/o major surgery and I don't know if you need to but I epoxied mine just so it wouldn't/couldn't accidently jump up and lock. It's working against gravity but you never know. Let me know if you want a photo.

Dave Damouth
03-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Yep, that sounds like the same lock. Pics and write up are at mazspeed.com in the facts section.

Silkworm
03-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Photo would be great. I looked the Mazspeed.com stuff, but the lock looks different. Email to [email protected]

Thanks!

PaulC

------------------

C. Ludwig
03-14-2002, 07:55 PM
I remember there we two screws that didn't have a slot in them that I slotted with a cutoff wheel and removed with an impact driver. Once those were removed the lock mechanism was exposed. I cut the actual latch off with a pnuematic cutoff wheel. The latch would stay out so you could just hack it off, I had to kinda wedge a screw driver next to it to hold it out. Don't remember the metal being that hard to cut...just hold.

Chris

Karl Bocchieri
03-16-2002, 04:21 PM
Once you have the ignition switch off, use a 4" rotary grinder and just grind off the square pin. Took me about ten minuetes.

Silkworm
03-17-2002, 12:48 AM
Ok, did it. thanks to ITSRotary for the pics, and Dave Damouth for the description.. On the underside of the lock switch there's a tin cap. Drill right in the middle, with a largish bit (I think I used a 5/8", and the spring will pop right out. I put some JB weld on top to ensure it stays down.

PaulC

Silkworm
03-17-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Silkworm:
Ok, did it. Thanks to everyone for the ideas, but special thanks to ITSRotary for the pics, and Dave Damouth for the description.. On the underside of the lock switch there's a tin cap. Drill right in the middle, with a largish bit (I think I used a 5/8", and the spring will pop right out. I put some JB weld on top to ensure it stays down.

PaulC