PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen seat installation

backformore
03-01-2002, 06:47 PM
I recently purchased a 2nd gen and the seat is mounted on stock rails. This is great for adjustability, but as I am taller than average, not so good for head room.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions or what other people have done to mount the seat sufficiently low. Preferably with some adjustability for enduros and car swapping.

Is there any restriction on what the seat is attached to? For example, can it be bolted to the floor pan? The seat appears to be one of the low-end Cobras and the mounting bolts are on the bottom.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rory

C. Ludwig
03-02-2002, 10:12 AM
I mounted my Kirkey directly to the floor pan with some large bolts and some pretty good sized steel reinforcing plates on both sides. I'm 6'3" and that setup is just low enough to get me enough clearence under the main hoop. There is no adjustability with this setup and with the back brace to the main hoop I don't see how you could have an "easy" adjustment on any seat except those that don't require the back brace. Do like the pros do and make some pads for the short guys. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Chris

backformore
03-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm about 6'2", so it's good to know I can make it work with room to spare. If I didn't like RX7s so much it wouldn't be a problem, I'd buy a car I fit in! The car also has a bolt-in cage which infringes on the available space. That will be fixed eventually, but not before I get it on the track.

I think I will ultimately have to go with a permanent setup and let the short guys figure it out.

If any one else has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again Chris.

Rory

C. Ludwig
03-02-2002, 05:42 PM
You might have already figured this out but the space where the drivers side halo attaches to the main hoop is pretty precious too. Mine was close when we built the car (didn't put a helmet on). Real close once I got in the car and put my helmet on and now with helmet and padded bar I hit the bar all the time. Just something to watch.

Chris

backformore
03-02-2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks Chris. That is actually the location that I am trying to gain a little more head room. I'm (barely) OK on the main hoop, but the halo hoop w/padding prevents me from being able to hold my head completely vertical. I had a similiar problem in my previous ITA RX7, but I am hoping to get around it in the "S" car.

Once again, good to know that I will not be the only one bumping their head against that spot all the time. Where do you race? I may need to borrow some aspirin?

Rory

Boswoj
03-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Interesting - I wondered how other people fit in their Mazdas. I figured I was just unlucky. I'm 6'-1", but have a long trunk and short legs so I can't hold my head straight up with a helmet on either! I'm about to mount a Kirkey directly to the floor, and even lean it back more than the manufactured 20 degrees if I have to to get more headroom. The only problem there is that I am quickly losing the road directly in front of the car behind the dash........

backformore
03-06-2002, 01:34 PM
BOSWOJ,

Good to know that the long trunk and short legs thing is not a solution to the problem. I tend to the long legged side. Headroom is still a challenge. In addition, when I get myself far enough back for my legs to be comfortable relative to the pedals (for heel and toe, etc.) I feel like I am reaching for the wheel and the shifter. The wheel problem can be fixed fairly easily with a spacer, the shifter may not be so easy.

Darn the bad luck. Why do I have to like these RX7s so much? Also, as I recall from my old ITA RX7, once you get on the track, you have enough other things to think about that you never realize your head is not up straight. On the bright side, having your head resting on the roll cage relieves the strain from all of those right turns!!

Good to know other people are banging their heads (literally and figuratively) over seat installation too.

See you on the track soon.

Rory

Silkworm
03-06-2002, 02:48 PM
I hesistated to post this, mainly because I feel this is borderline with regards to the ITCS. But I feel justified based on the rule allowing modifications to allow for the installation of required safety equipment. Thus:

http://www.lcaf.com/silk/RX-7/RX7-75.jpg

What we did here was shave off the two rear seat mounts (just spotwelded to the floor), cut and straightened the curve on the tranny tunnel near my seat, and welded in a L shaped piece of steel.. Then took the flaps from the original cut and popped and sealed it to the welded patch. With this, I'm pushed inboard just enough that my head doesn't hit the rollbar, with padding, in normal seating position.

So that's what we did. I wouldn't recommend it because it's a lot of work, but if that's the only thing to keep your head from banging into the roll bar, then....

PaulC

------------------

backformore
03-06-2002, 05:50 PM
PaulC,

Thanks for taking the time (and chance) to post the picture. You have obviously spent a lot of time trying to make it right and safe (and comfortable!).

It seems like I've seen pictures of your car on here before. Did you just put the cage in? I MAY be trying to acquire a car/tub to build up into a custom car. If I do, you'd be a great resource to have available since a custom cage is on the top of the priority list. I want maximum room, safety, and performance benefit. Where are you located?

For now, I'll get back out on the track with my bolt in cage and try to keep my head off the cage (and out of my a**). Then I'll focus on making the driver as fast as possible so that it may be worth building a new car!!

Thanks,
Rory

Karl Bocchieri
03-06-2002, 09:00 PM
At 6'5" and 240 lbs I also had a little trouble getting in a comfortable position in the car. I also removed the stock rear seat brackets to get my Buttler built seat to sit lower and more to the center of the car so my head dosen't hit the rollbar. I bolted 2" peices of steel plate from the rear of the floor pan to the stock front seat mounts. I then mounted the seat to these plates.
If your big, you realy need a custom built cage, if done right it gives you alot more room.
The RX-7 is WAY bigger than my old Z car.

backformore
03-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Karl,

Thanks for the input. That was the route I was thinking I would go (the 2" plates). What thickness did you use?

Good to know the RX7 is no worse than others.

Rory

Silkworm
03-07-2002, 03:27 AM
Nah, it's just taking me forever to get this piece of crap on the track http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif The cage has been in the car for almost a year now, but my fabricator is really a racer first, a Sillycon Valley manager second, and a fabricator third, so it's tough to get time with him to get all of the work I needed done. He's a good friend, and the work he's doing for me is fairly specialized and would cost bucks if I had to have someone do it for me.

I'm out here in California, but you're welcome to fly out and look at it http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif.. Seriously, I've got pics of almost everything, and a lot are on my site http://www.lcaf.com You're welcome to ask any questions, I'd pay my other RX-7 buddies back poorly if I didn't help others out.

PaulC

backformore
03-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Thanks PaulC,

I'll take a look at the website. Be careful what you offer though. I fly for free (job perk) so I just might show up in Calif. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif .

Seriously, I'll take a look at your website and keep you in mind if I decide to start over from scratch.

Thanks,
Rory

msemmes
03-07-2002, 05:33 PM
What's the most common Kirkey model used in the 2nd gen - 10 or 20 degreee intermediate?

Silkworm
03-10-2002, 03:24 AM
I've got the 20.

PaulC