PDA

View Full Version : Racing a Protégé?

Knestis
02-18-2002, 03:47 PM
If there is anyone out there running an early-90s Protégé, please take a minute to visit http://www.2litre.itgo.com - it describes an initiative that we are calling IT2, an effort to create a category for the newer, 4-cylinder cars that don't really fit into the existing IT structure very well.

Of particular interest will be the "Jump Start" program, kicking off this year to promote interest and awareness of the potential of these cars. This provision creates a "virtual" series, run within the organization of existing SCCA regionals (or events run by any other sanctioning body that recognizes IT rules). Go to the site and scroll down to "Getting Started". Spread the word or volunteer to be IT2 Regional Administrator for your area! Let me know if there are questions...

Best,

Kirk

02-18-2002, 04:23 PM
do you think the rx7 would be better classed there?

Knestis
02-18-2002, 05:18 PM
A couple of thoughts...

First, these cars have generally proved to be faster than most ITA cars (or as fast as fast ones!). The RX7's problem is relative to the rest of the A class so I don't think this would do them any good.

Second, the solutions that RX7 owners have implemented (Spec RX7, IT7, etc.) are the success stories that forced me to the conclusion that the only way forward for these cars is to create a new class - revision is too great of a battle, against the status quo.

Third, there is a philosophical aspect to the "touring car" nature of the proposed IT2 category - some of the cars that are being discussed (e.g. DelSol) don't align very well with this precept and the RX would be even more toward the sports/GT end of the spectrum.

Fourth (etc.), part of what might make IT2 fly is that all of the cars (or nearly all) share common types of technology, are of the same approximate age and are of similar layout - making the performance leveling process practical.

If I were so inclined, I would go with one of the spec RX7 classes and race my brains out!

Kirk

02-18-2002, 06:07 PM
im sticking with ITA for at least another year, one strange fact is last year there were no crx's in SFR, top dog is a rx3 2nd is a integra, go figure.

------------------
Daryl Brightwell
ITA Mazda #90
SFR, NORPAC

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited February 18, 2002).]