PDA

View Full Version : Rain Tires

Hammer
02-09-2002, 08:04 PM
I am shopping for rain tires and wanted to get input on which ones to buy. I race an IT7 primarily at at Sebring, Daytona and Moroso. My choices are Toyo Proxes at $120 each, Hoosier Dirt Trackers at $93 each and BF Goodrich's at $25 each. The Goodrichs' have never been used but are 1-2 years old. They are left overs from when Spec Racer Fords changed their spec tire. Also, how long will the rains be good for if they get little use or no use. I have heard one to two years. I am a mid pack racer and will race 9 weekends this year.

mazdagt3
02-13-2002, 12:56 AM
you can't beat the dirt stockers in CONSTANT rain.

if a dry line develops you're s%^% out of luck though.

get the toyo's at full tread depth. great for the rain, dry or enduro.

something that can't be said of the dirt stocker.

also i'd be concerned about using a tire designed for lighter cars.

i'd pass on the bfg.

miketrier
02-16-2002, 07:17 PM
I run a RX7 in ITA. I ran on Spec Racer BFG's (dry) at Road America last August-first time driving there and first time on BFG's. I loved them. They weren't Hoosiers but they came closer than anything else I've tried. I bought several sets from the guys in Ohio. I've never tried the rain version but that would be my choice if I were in the market for rains. Nothing beats dirt stockers when it's really wet, but it's not that way very often. Once a season is about average for how often I've used rains. If the track drys out the dirt Stockers chunk out and become very slow. It essentially destroys them. I've been using full tread TOYO's (bought in 98) for rains and plan to keep using them until they go away and then go to the BFG's. Either will be far better than drys yet won't be too bad if the track drys. I keep all my tires sealed up in garbage bags and protect them from freeze-thaw cycles to keep them fresh.