PDA

View Full Version : Spec.Miata vs. ITS

RacinRich
02-14-2002, 03:21 PM
I've been racing a ITA/7 RX7 for several years and am contemplating a different class. What are everyone's pros/cons on Spec. Miata vs. ITS RX7? The competitiveness and car equality of Spec. Miata is appealing to me, but the rules are somewhat limiting from a technical preparation viewpoint. The 2nd Gen. RX7's are nice, but the pro-built cars raise the cost levels of being competitive.

idhaskel
02-14-2002, 04:56 PM
You hit the major nails on the head. Cost - much better Miata. Speed - much better ITS. Level of competition - probably the same, depending on where you are in the country. The Spec nature of the Miata means that you will be much more likely to be head-to-head with someone in Spec Miata, but there is no arguing with the fun of going FAST!!! Also depends on the types of tracks you run. If you are a Road America / Mid Ohio / Brainerd kind of guy - ITS is loads more fun. If your local tracks are Blackhawk / Grattan, then the Miata will be remarkably quick.
I am not a mechanic type guy, so the limited mods in Miata actually is a plus for me. More time on track knowing I am losing because of driving as opposed to less time on track (always working on the car), and never really knowing if I am losing because of the car or the driver! In any case, I envy your choices as I have been on a budget-derived hiatus from racing for several years now. :-(
Good Luck!

NoRaceCarYet
02-14-2002, 05:50 PM
I completely agree with IDH...

I am not a real mechanical guy either, (though I am not afraid to tackle anything.

However the time spent on-track in a SM knowing I'm in a car that is as fast as I am going to get it vs. always trying to make my ITS Rx7 as fast as the other guys in the padock and in the shop between races is more attractive to me, which is why I am going Pro7 - another spec Rx7 class.

Your ITA experience should make you realize this - it did me!

Another thing, next to an ITC Civic or ITA Rx7, SpecMiata's are the cheapest things to race going...