PDA

View Full Version : Spec-Miata Question

Karl Bocchieri
02-09-2002, 02:11 PM
I have the chance to pick up a Miata dirt cheap and was thinking about turning it into a Spec racer, but I'm a big guy. I would fit if I could gut the drivers door and put the door bars in there like my ITS car. Is this legal for Spec-Miata? Also do you have to buy a bolt in cage, or can you build and WELD your own in?

badal
02-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Karl,
Nascar ars are OK.
Custom IT type cages too.
Check SpecMiata.com

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

mazdagt3
02-13-2002, 12:50 AM
karl, how big are you?

250lbs and 6 feet tall is simply not going to work well. the cars are tight and with a cage the interior gets downright uncomfortable for the big guys out there.

i myself am 5ft 7in and 130 lbs. granted there is room for my self but not as near as much as my ITS RX7.

the choice of seat as well as cage construction is a big factor in utilizing the space in the interior to the max.

if you're interested, feel free to call 570 288 9999 x 3 for more info if you need a cage built for the car. we'd be more than happy to help with the build up of a spec miata.

marc cefalo

7racing
02-13-2002, 03:47 PM
I'm 6-4, 200# and fit into a 93 SM fairly well. My brother is 6-7 and he fits OK. Not a real lot of head room, but not much worse than a 1st gen RX7.

There is a thread on the specmiata.com site about how big is too big for these cars.

Good luck.

Jeremy

NoRaceCarYet
02-13-2002, 05:06 PM
I used to AutoX one when I was 260lbs - I'm 6'3"...

My friend John O'Fallon Races one with MCSCC he's 6'3"+, very skinny (getting bigger LOL) and fits just fine.. OK JUST fine...

It's tight, but with a well engineered cage it works OK.

K

Karl Bocchieri
02-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, the spec-miata site is great. Im leaning towards making it into a hot street car first, because it realy is to nice to cut up just yet. At the races this year I'll look for some big drivers and ask to sit in their cars and see how confortable it is to me.