PDA

View Full Version : What fuel pump?

Speed Raycer
02-01-2002, 11:28 PM
What fuel pump are you guys running on your 1st gen RX7s? A bunch of people on the web seem to be running a Carter Electric pump. Why?

Is there a certain fuel pressure that the RX7 carbs have to run at (yes I need a factory service manual http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif)?

I've got a Mallory Comp 140 (from a drag car project that went a different direction) that puts out around 14 psi. Would that pump be too much??

Thanks for all the help guys@!

------------------

rx7chris
02-02-2002, 10:25 AM
The reason i use the Carter, as it was put to me by my engine builder. The carter is inexpensive, has a high flow rate, and low pressure. All of which work very well for the budget minded IT racer. I still run a regulator, to drop fuel pressure down to 2 to 3 psi.

Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing

rgrunenw
02-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Most people use a Carter - cheap and good. I believe mine came with a Facet. Use large diameter (3/8" ID) for everything from the fuel cell right up to the carb. As noted, some set pressure at 2 - 3 pouds; I use a Holley regulator, about 3.5 - 4.0; anything over 4.5 is generally agreed to be too much.

The easy place to mount the regulator is on the drivers side strut tower (that's where mine is mounted). Some say it is best to mount the regulator on the firewall to minimize fluctuations in left and right turns.

I now carry a spare fuel pressure gauge as I had one go bad and was getting inconsistent readings which caused me to continually (and needlessly) adjust fuel pressure - I thought the regulator was bad, but it wasn't.

Speed Raycer
02-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Hey Chris... do you still have that RB header for sale? I've sent you some emails but haven't heard...

I guess the Mallory 140 would probably be overkill, but I do already have it.... hmmm

Decisions, decisions...

rx7chris
02-04-2002, 06:09 PM
Yeah I think we've still got it. It's not really mine, I'm selling it for a friend of mine. He would probably take $115 for it out the door. I'd need to ask him. If both of you agree, then we could work out how to do payment and shipping arangements (sp?).

Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing

p.s. sell the mallory to a drag racer for $70 and but the Carter. I think I paid around $65 for mine through Summitt.