PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bias Valve Installation? 1980 RX-7

tdw6974
01-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Is the brake bias valve installed in line for the front brake system or the rear brake system. Just bought the and have a lot to learn. Car was built By Robinson Racing and J Varble in GA in 1991 and has been run about 6 times since then. Just hope to have some fun. thanks for any help and info.

------------------
T Weaver 1980 RX-7 ITA

ddewhurst
01-26-2002, 10:23 PM
T Weaver, I have a 1985 RX-7 with a disc brake rearend & I eliminated the stock proportioning valve & plumbed the adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brake line.

The name of the game is to adjust the rear brakes for max braking with NO REAR BRAKE LOCK UP. Ya don't want to see where ya just came from.

------------------
Have Fun

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region Spec-7 #14

rgrunenw
01-27-2002, 07:43 PM
Since a brake bias valve limits the amount of pressure applied to the brake line it is inserted in (ie, decreases hydraulic pressure), you are decreasing braking effectiveness for that brake.

Dave Dewhurst's comment is right on target: since on most cars the rears lock up before the fronts, you want to decrease the braking power in the rear to the point where they won't lock under maximum braking.

I have seen some people partially address the problem of premature rear lock up by putting less effective pads / shoes in the rear (ex: Hawk Blues in the front and stock pads in the rear). This is a bit imprecise, but an easy fix if you are in a bind (no pun intended).

Have you run the car yet? Do you know if you have a problem with the rears locking up before the fronts?