PDA

View Full Version : Carb Questions

dick
01-09-2002, 03:43 PM
I have a few question and need some help.

1)What is the best year of carb to use for racing?

2)I am building an '81 and am having some carb related problems. The motor is fresh and was running good, the carb needed some tuning, but near the end of my first short drive, I let off the throttle and the rpm shot up to 5k.

The guy I bought the car from (also the engine builder) recommended I remove the dashpot. I did, but it didn't help. It looks like the throttle cable had some slack, but the throttle appeared to be closed.

So I removed the carb and stared at it for a while. Assuming that didn't help, can anyone please give me some advice.

I don't know what year the carb is from, but the top of the primaries is larger than the on the one from my '83 parts car (which I was told needs rebuilding).

Thanks

Quickshoe
01-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by dick:
I have a few question and need some help.

The motor is fresh and was running good, the carb needed some tuning, but near the end of my first short drive, I let off the throttle and the rpm shot up to 5k.

The rpm's shot up to 5k and then what??? (returned to idle, stayed there under load, kept climbing until you turned ign off?)

After removing most of the needless stuff on my carb I noticed a linkage arm that could easily interfere with the throttle returning to it's idle position. Luckily, I discovered this while installing the carb on the mainfold and not while trying to brake for turn 1. All other running problems I incurred were vacuum leaks...rotary was too damn loud to hear the leaks and the idle characteristics were poor enough that spraying carb cleaner around places did not noticibly affect rpms.

Don't know the answers to your other questions. Best of luck!

------------------
Daryl DeArman
I Love RX7's...they taste like chicken :P

dick
01-10-2002, 01:47 AM
...rpm shot up to 5k rpm and stayed there...

Kinda moot now, as I have the carb torn apart and I am about to rebuild it. This is where it gets interesting....

01-11-2002, 12:38 PM
buy yourself a yaw carb and be done with it
http://personal.riverusers.com/~yawpower/