PDA

View Full Version : Tire of choice?

Boswoj
12-19-2001, 03:38 AM
I just purchased a '79 RX-7 ITA car. Is the BFG Comp T/A R1 the tire of choice for this car and application? What about the Toyo Proxes R model, or are there better choices yet? Please give me a rundown on relative grip, longevity, and cost please. Many thanks in advance!

Rick

Festus E. Simkins
12-19-2001, 10:23 AM
If you are running 13 X 7 wheels many of the fast guys are running the Hoosier 225 X 13 tire. Don't last too long. I believe it comes in aspect ratio of 45 and 50. They are about $148 each from Tire Rack add another $10 - 15 per tire for heat cycling + shipping and mounting and balancing.

I have been running the 205 X 13 Kumho Victor 700s about $100 each plus heat cycle etc. They are predictable and get good wear.

Toyo makes a 215 X 13 some say are marginally better than the Kumho. The are about $120 per tire plus heat cycle etc. I have use them and they are predictable and get good wear.

Kumho has come out with a new 215 X 13 and 225 X 13 tire. Its just out and I haven't heard how people like or dislike them.

Just my .02

Drive well.

Festus E. Simkins
12-19-2001, 11:57 AM
Sorry, made and error in my above post. The new Kumho is a 235 X 13 and it says that the minimum wheel should be a 7.5 X 13. I wonder if running it on a 7 X 13 would be pushing it too much?

Silkworm
12-19-2001, 02:45 PM
Isn't the max size for ITA-C 6" wide? Or is it just ITB/C???

PaulC

------------------

Festus E. Simkins
12-19-2001, 03:47 PM
ITA AND ITS can run a max wheel of 7" wide.

Boswoj
12-20-2001, 12:33 AM
Thanks for responding folks! So when you say good wear, how many weekends do you typically get out of them? Do Kumhos or Toyos wear better?

Thanks - Rick

rlekun
12-22-2001, 04:16 PM
As always the answer is: it depends...mostly on how the car is set-up and most importantly, your driving style. Check out the comparison GRM did a couple of months ago. Hoosier vs Toyos vs Kumhos. Hoosiers won but barely beating the surprising kumho's. I like the hoosier's cause they grip from the green flag, BUT if you overdrive them they can go away as the laps wear on. I've used Hoosiers for year but plan on trying Kumho's next. By the way, if you want to try Hoosiers, call Appalacian Race Tire and see if they have any used ones in inventory. I started out buying used Hoosiers from them...they came off ProSpec racers and usually only had one leg of an endurance run on them. Cost about 1/4 price of new.

RacinRich
01-02-2002, 02:10 PM
Festus,
Did you ever do a back-to-back comparison of the Hoosiers and the Khumos?

Festus E. Simkins
01-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Racin Rich,

No, I've never done a back-to-back comparison. I used Hoosiers when I first started and got about 2 weekends out of a set. After a couple of sets I decided to try some of the other brands. I think track time and getting the car dailed in helped my times the most. I have dropped about 6.5 seconds off of my times 3 years ago at most tracks. If I get to the point that I feel I have gotten everything out of the car and the only thing left is tires I will probably try the Hooisers again. For the last 5 years I have gone a little quicker at each track I race. Last year I picked up .5 seconds at Memphis between March and June. June was faster and on the same tires I ran in March.

For me seat time is the major determining factor. My challenge this year is to dial in the car with a completely new set up of springs, etc.

Drive well.

ricracer113
01-05-2002, 11:05 PM
I got about 4 weekeneds out of my tires and I have had a few friends say I was hard on tires

------------------

Quickshoe
01-06-2002, 03:02 AM
Rick, you, hard on tires?!?!

(Rick was very fast in what he had to work with, but to say he was hard on tires is an understatement). For the record: Rick ran 205/60-13 r1's on a very light (1880#)1st gen with stock suspension (soft). He also experimented with the Kumho's and got better wear and was just as fast. Yes Rick, it's late and I'm on line but the car's done..see you at tech tomorrow.

rgrunenw
01-06-2002, 11:08 AM
I get about 12-14 sessions out of 225/50-13 Hoosiers. I like them because they are fast from the start and stay fast until they show cord. They are, however, a bit pricey. If you are a novice, I'd recommend the Kumho's while you learn. Take the $200 you save and spend it on a test day.

rlekun
01-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Quickshoe:
..see you at tech tomorrow.[/B]

Alas, with 4 inches of snow on the ground outside, how good it would be to "be at tech tomorrow".

RacinRich
01-07-2002, 12:38 PM
RGRUNENW,
Do you have experience with back-to-back comparisons with Hoosiers vs. Kumho or Yokohamas?

rgrunenw
01-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by RacinRich:
RGRUNENW,
Do you have experience with back-to-back comparisons with Hoosiers vs. Kumho or Yokohamas?

No, I do not have direct personal experience. I am only relaying what I have observed via competitors' choices and what I have heard from those that have run various tires.

From personal observation, using cars of similar prep level and drivers of similar skill as a baseline, I have seen cars running Toyo's that are fast, but never Yoko's or Kumho's. At the tracks I run in Cendiv (MO,IRP, Nelson), Hoosiers are generally the tire of choice.