PDA

View Full Version : hood pins and installation

frazer
12-16-2001, 03:56 PM
i was at rotary performance in virgina the other day. i noticed all the race cars in there have hood pins. is one brand better than the other? also, how and where should i install them. i figure that since i'm drilling through the hood i might as well do it right the first time. and i hope i'm correct in assuming that i can remove the hood release equip once the pins are in.

thanks again for all your help,

mike

Karl Bocchieri
12-16-2001, 06:09 PM
I like the ones that screw on to the hood so you can't loose the pins.
Hint: dissable the cable and latch by drilling out the rivets but KEEP the safety latch intact. If you forget to put the hood pins in, the hood will not open on the track.

Silkworm
12-17-2001, 12:16 AM
Again, assuming 2nd gen RX-7,

I used the 2 of the 3 holes in the front, about 2 inchs back from the very leading edge of the hood. I used grease to mark where they touched the hood, started with small holes, and opened them slowly to allow the pins through to the 2nd layer of the hood. Then used grease again to mark, small bits working up. Finished with a reamer to clean up the edges. Adjusted so the pins hold the hood down just a bit, but I left the latch intact for now.

PaulC

------------------

Jack Kramer
12-17-2001, 10:53 PM
Mike,

I can't attach files to this forum so I will send you some pics of my hood pin installation via e-mail.

------------------
Jack
'87 ITS RX-7

NoRaceCarYet
12-18-2001, 08:34 PM
Silkworms advie is critical...

If you try to make the hole too big too fast the drill bit will rip the hood metal and make a mess.