PDA

View Full Version : ITA Miata

Jiveslug
10-26-2001, 06:08 PM
Im still doing research into a good starter vehicle. What is everyones' opinion as the Miata in ITA? They are great little cars and saw a couple mid-pack runners last year at Laguna Seca. How do they compare as far as performance and cost to the CRX or 240? Anyone know of any cars for sale? Thanks for the input!

Jive

NoRaceCarYet
10-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Someone needs to prove they are fast - still one did finish 4th at the ARRC in 99.

I think that they could be fast, the SpecMiata is the best place to start with a 1.6 Miata and the only place for q 1.8.

Short answer - great car - go for it - but run SpecMiata instead.

Poat to www.specmiata.com (http://www.specmiata.com) - loads and loads of people up there!

K

Jiveslug
10-29-2001, 05:53 PM
Well, normally I would be inclined to run SM, but that class is not available in my region!!! I really want to hear from people who have some experience with these cars in IT. Anyone?

Jive

94sm
10-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Since you've mentioned Seca, I assume you're talking about the NorCal region. Dunno about SCCA but SM is very strong and alive up there with NASA. I've heard that there are at least 20 cars prob with more in the works. You might wanna contact NASA to get specifics...

Jiveslug
10-29-2001, 08:46 PM
Actually, Im in the SoCal region. Thats what kinda bites. The racing isnt as good out here and there is very little in the way of NASA racing.....that I know of, at least.

Jive

NoRaceCarYet
10-30-2001, 08:17 PM
Jive - Dude!

You are talking to 2 SCCA SoCal guys here 94sm and I are both SoCal NASA and CSCC guys.. FUNNY!

SM is new to CalClub this year...

This is what Tom Neely wrote recently on the CalClub WebSite:

Any CSCC Spec Miata drivers, builders or hopefuls we need to get you organized and get me the paperwork needed to get the class approved for our regional program next year.

We need the following from all of you by Nov 5th:

letters of intent to run in our region
including contact info and member #'s
copies of the logbooks

send to Tom Neely

10218 sepulveda blvd
mission hills ca
e mail questions to:
[email protected]

11-01-2001, 01:18 PM
JIVESLUG, cscc does have a couple of decent tracks but SFR rocks with laguna sears and t-hill, I live 18 miles from buttonwillow but ill be a SFR regular, and yes miatas are huge up there with ITA and SM and dont forget a miata won the E/P at runoffs.
see ya around, whats your name so ill know ya when i see ya?

------------------
Daryl Brightwell
ITA Mazda #90
SFR, NORPAC
CAL CLUB, SOPAC

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited November 01, 2001).]

Dead Skunk
11-01-2001, 02:22 PM
I've been contemplating building a Miata for either ITA or SpecMiata. Does anyone know if the hardtops for the new and old models are interchangeable? I know where I canget a new top and older cars are easy to find ,but few have the hardtop.

NoRaceCarYet
11-01-2001, 02:53 PM
Jiveslug, Dead Skunk - we need to tawk...

[email protected]

datatech
11-05-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Dead Skunk:
I've been contemplating building a Miata for either ITA or SpecMiata. Does anyone know if the hardtops for the new and old models are interchangeable? I know where I canget a new top and older cars are easy to find ,but few have the hardtop.

Don't waste your money on an ITA car. You'd need a chain attached to it's bumper keep up with a CRX. SpecMiata is the only way to go.

The new and old tops are *supposed* to be interchangeable, but I can't verify that.

Try the specmiata.com or racernetwork.com sites for more info.

-dave

94sm
11-09-2001, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Jiveslug:
Actually, Im in the SoCal region. Thats what kinda bites. The racing isnt as good out here and there is very little in the way of NASA racing.....that I know of, at least.
Jive

Why isn't "racing isn't as good out here"? If you're referring to tracks, well it's pretty hard to compete w/ the NorCal's tracks but we now have 4 local tracks to run at: WS, Streets, BW and Fontana. SCCA isn't running at Fontana yet but TCRA (www.touringcarclub.com) and NASA was there 2 weeks ago. And TCRA runs at Seca, Sears and Vegas once a year as well. There were 4 Spec Miatas (5 if Dave was able to bring his) and there will def be more very soon as there are quite a few that are in the making. Some of us will be at WS on Dec 1/2 again w/ TCRA. Like Dave said, SM is the only way to go...

Son

94sm
11-09-2001, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Jiveslug:
Im still doing research into a good starter vehicle. How do they compare as far as performance and cost to the CRX or 240? Anyone know of any cars for sale? Thanks for the input!
Jive

I went thru the same process last year: ITA (CRX/Civic/GTI) or ITB (GTI) or Pro7 or Spec Miata. In the end, I chose SM for various reasons (the biggest being that everybody runs the same suspension). I've never even driven a Miata until the day I flew to Arizona to purchase the car and drove it 8 hours back to SoCal. I'm glad I chose SM; bolt on the spec suspension and it's basically an SM. Mine still has a/c, stereo, p/s, p/w, c/c, and I drive it daily on Toyo RA1s as well...

racer-025
12-10-2001, 10:23 PM
I have a used OEM aluminum rad, in decent shape forsale, from '90 Miata, if anyone is looking. $100.00 plus shipping, [email protected]