PDA

View Full Version : SpecRX-7 Building

ric3rd
12-09-2001, 12:27 AM
I'm building a SpecRX-7 for the Central division and have a few questions about what can/can't be removed. Specifically, in the engine compartment I've removed the air conditioning compressor, expansion valve, and hoses. I also removed the cruise control module and cable. What about any of the other emissions-related canisters, hoses, etc? Can anything else be removed to clean up the engine compartment? The rules (SoPac) mention disabling the shutter valve...how? I'd greatly appreciate some help on this from someone.

ddewhurst
12-09-2001, 06:17 PM
ric3rd, included is my SoPac rules understanding to your inquirys.

"I'm building a SpecRX-7 for the Central division and have a few questions about what can/can't be removed."

Welcome to the CenDiv SRX7 class & I look forward to meeting you.

"Specifically, in the engine compartment I've removed the air conditioning compressor, expansion valve, and hoses. I also removed the cruise control module and cable."

I presume the expansion valve is part of the air conditioning.
If yes so far ok, you can do those things.

"What about any of the other emissions-related canisters, hoses, etc?"

The rule that informs you about these or any other items is: SoPac "1. General These rules are absolute - they are not intended to be a guide to car preparation. Unless specifically mentioned or approved in these rules, no additional vehical modifications may be made."

Modification means no touch, zip, nothing. In other words if the rules don't say you can in writing you can't. A good example would be the windshield washer liquid container can not be removed.

"Can anything else be removed to clean up the engine compartment?"

You can remove the cold start assist system. Look in you owners manual for these parts. I would need to re-read the rules again but most the other stuff you must leave alone.

"The rules (SoPac) mention disabling the shutter valve...how?"

If you were siting on the cowel & looking down at the top of the carb the shutter valve is within the barrel that is located between 9 & 12 o-clock. It's operator is located under the carb at that same corner of the carb. Remove the little clip that connects the operator to the valve linkage. Then you need to secure the valve in the wide open position. Remember the rule says disable the valve you can not remove the valve. There may be other ways but thats what I did.

"I'd greatly appreciate some help on this from someone."

My e-mail is [email protected] if I may be of further support.

------------------
Have Fun

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region Spec-7 #14

Quickshoe
12-09-2001, 09:15 PM
ric3rd,

I no longer own my rx7 so I can't verify for certain. However, my memory says the shutter valve is located between 6 and 9:00 (while sitting on cowl facing forward). The left rear corner of carb. I am sure once you knew it was sandwiched between the carb and manifold you would have found it.

------------------
Daryl DeArman
I Love RX7's...they taste like chicken :P

bclark
12-09-2001, 09:25 PM
Ric3rd,
If you are in the milwaukee area and need
parts, give me a Pm e-mail.I have lots of parts that may help,maybe even a whole car for spares cheap!
Regards
Bob
#76srx7,#76ita
[email protected]

ddewhurst
12-09-2001, 11:00 PM
ric3rd, Daryl is 100 % correct (between 6 & 9 o-clock) I should have gone to the car & looked before I responded.

Daryl, thanks for the correction the memory is the second thing to go. Like chicken ? Ya sure ?

Bob, if you keep buying up those 7 parts & cars we are going o have to call you Sanford. Which car did you buy to add to the list of stuff in the garage ?

------------------
Have Fun

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region Spec-7 #14

ric3rd
12-10-2001, 11:06 AM
I ended up pulling the carb off to get a look at the shutter valve. I suppose I can just epoxy the linkage so it stays wide open. I'm actually considering making the leap all the way to ITA straight off just so I don't have to put all that crap back on the car! As for parts, I'm sure I have plenty of RX-7 parts, since I bought 2 85's to build into one race car. I do, however, need springs, shocks, a roll cage, tires, brake pads, etc. Anyone have those things laying about?

Rick Third
LOL Member
Minnesota

Quickshoe
12-10-2001, 08:47 PM
Dave,

Yeah, the FEW that I've eaten tasted like chicken http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif. My heart is still with the rx7, thus the frequent visits. However, I'm going back to open wheel and the MR2 was just part of the package deal bringing me one step closer to the FF/SF.

I'll tell you from my experiance, the Mr2 is s-l-o-w-e-r than both my prior 1st gen's, but man is it easy to drive! I have 2 club track records in my rx7's and am about 4seconds off that pace in the mr2. I would guess it might take 2-3x the money and development time to make it as fast as the rx7, and being a temporary car, I won't be going that route. So meanwhile, I have the "I love Rx7's...they taste like chicken" on the rear of the car to razz what few of my old rx7 buddies I manage to beat!

--Happy racing

------------------
Daryl DeArman
I Love RX7's...they taste like chicken :P