PDA

View Full Version : My problems are solved!

C. Ludwig
11-16-2001, 09:10 AM
Thanks to BrianB for accidently getting the ball rolling on finally getting the car to run for me and for Silkworm for answering the problem. I'd removed the OMP to run premix and as I found out you can't do that on cars with the electric OMP. The car was in limp mode the whole time. Plugged it back up (still unbolted from the block) and it runs GREAT. I can't thank you guys a enough! I'm so excited, my race car is now raceable!!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

BrianB to answer your earlier question about fooling the ECU when removing the OMP, I don't know yet. It shouldn't be hard though. I'll get the ohm meter out and see if a couple resistors will do the trick. I'll keep ya posted. But right now I just have it zip tied to the car and plugged up.

Chris

BrianB
11-16-2001, 07:15 PM
I've seen the OMP tied to the inner fender on ITS cars here in the NE region!I wonder if the Workshop manual has a check procedure for the OMP showing correct resistance values at various RPMs? It may be the resistance value of the pump motor itself!
Have you looked into disabling the rev limiter in your ECU?I'm wondering if this is something relatively simple to do?
On your conversion, did you need the 89+wiring harness for both sides?
Thanks,
B

Silkworm
11-17-2001, 12:54 AM
Chris,

Congrats! Glad I could help.

Brian,

The way I understand it:

86-88 ECU requires 86-88 harness, TPS, injectors, AFM, and Omp is optional.

89-91 ECU requires 89-91 harness, TPSs, injectors, AFM, and OMP has to be hooked up.

Paul

C. Ludwig
11-17-2001, 09:11 AM
Brian, I have the 89+ harnesses on both sides. If you do the swap you'll need them both. Also, the "front" harness that contains the fuse box and runs from the ECU out the driver's side won't plug up to a pre-89 rear harness so you'll have to get creative to have functioning brake lights.

As for the OMP, I was thinking about pinning the full range TPS in one spot, measuring the resistances, adding the resistors and seeing if you can just make the OMP think you're running at one constant RPM. Don't know if that will jive with the ECu or not. Worth a try to shed a pound or two.

Chris