PDA

View Full Version : Any rotor heads seen this?

C. Ludwig
11-05-2001, 08:17 PM
I've been having a serious timing problem with my 2nd gen RX7. First my Racing Beat e-shaft pulley was mismarked. Finally figured that out and swapped it for the stocker. Well, I still had to feed the thing about 10* advance to make it run right. Posted a couple times to the RX7 Club and a guy gave me a link to a page that has some good 2nd gen ignition info. This guy says he's seen two cars that appeared to have somehow slipped time. He showed how to find TDC without relying on the pulley. Well I did it and according to this method my pulley was off by about 10*. With the new mark everything is dead on. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Chris

11-06-2001, 11:50 AM
that impossible, both rotors would have to had jumped a gear, physically impossible, more likely is it was assembled incorrectly.

balz
11-12-2001, 10:01 PM
Ok...you'll have to forgive me, but I am going to say that this is free advice...

I know what the problem is on a 12A, but do NOT know if this will work on a 13B. There is a possibility that you have the pully on wrong, or the distrubutor dropped in wrong (if there is even one on a 13B). Here is how it works on a 12A...you need to take a mirror, and on the back, bottom plug port, you need to turn the engine over (with a wrench) until the apex seal is centered over the port (you'll see it in the mirror). This is TDC for the Trailing ignition. You should be able to put the pulley on and line-up the red mark with the TDC index. Next, drop in the distributor with the "black dot" at the 12 O'clock position (marked) and set the slide index so that the distance is equal on each side.

I have done this a few times (after being shown this by someone who has done it several times) and it works.

Again, I offer the disclaimer because I am a first gen racer and my knowledge is restricted to them. Hopefully the same concept applies. It is VERY easy to put the pully on the wrong way on a first gen.

Let me know if it works for ya.

Best regards,

Balz

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
The only John Deer green one going!