PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Endurance Racing

Kevin Estes
11-01-2001, 07:48 PM
A group of us are doing the "Longest Night" and we have tried to think of everything to watch out for. I'm sure we are overlooking something. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
TIA,
Kevin

rgrunenw
11-01-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Estes:
A group of us are doing the "Longest Night" and we have tried to think of everything to watch out for. I'm sure we are overlooking something. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
TIA,
Kevin

Mazmarc
11-02-2001, 08:26 AM
Kevin,

There is too much to say to put on this forum. I ran the first 4 years of 'The Longest Night', with a best finish of 3rd in class 11th OA in the first race.

I have a 2nd gen so I may be able to help.

You must figure out how long it will run on a load of fuel. Then try to extrapolate brake pad wear by starting with a new set, then using a caliper, measure the wear and estimate when you will have to change the pads. I figure you may have to change the fronts twice, the rears once.

You MUST use factory axle boots on your axles. Bring spares. Friends of mine changed the left axle 7 times during the race because they used aftermarket boots on their rebuilds. They got to where they could change it in 6 min.:-)

Of course the weak link on these cars is the Gearbox. Bring at least one spare. The drivers MUST be gentle or you will be changing it.

The track is predominantly right handers. You will burn up the left front quickly. You should probably change it during every pitstop. I have too many things to mention to spend the time typing. If you want to talk more call me at 407-889-7207. This is my home number. Please dont call after 10 PM EST.

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I