PDA

View Full Version : rear wing for 1st gen ITA

09-04-2001, 07:05 PM
I have seen some 2nd gen ITS cars with the optional factory rear wing, does that mean I can put the optional 1st gen wing on my 1st gen ITA?

------------------
Daryl Brightwell
ITA RX7#90
San Francisco region
Cal Club

Silkworm
09-05-2001, 02:19 AM
My first thought is.. yes, although I can't recall when the 1st gen had a spoiler.

PaulC

------------------

lee graser
09-05-2001, 09:02 AM
Your are correct when you referred to the 1st gen RX-7 wing as "optional"----for this reason the wing has historically not been allowed in ITA ---the wing was a dealer installed option (albiet sometimes before the car ever went to the showroom)----the 2nd gen wings were all factory installed-----i.e. part of the car not an "optional" add on. Thus the distinction-----Toyota MR2's have a similar "factory-installed" spoiler---and these are also typically allowed.

09-05-2001, 04:08 PM
more hair splitting on scca's part, you can have a rear spoiler because you run this model and that guy over there cant.
where is the logic here?
a wing is a wing is a wing, either they should be allowed, or not.
so if i could get a 935 classified i could run that giant whale tail, everyone else be dammed.

Knestis
09-06-2001, 01:16 AM
I SO want to be there to see the looks on their faces when they read the request to classify the 935 in IT! As the ad says, "priceless"!

Sorry, 7's but this time, I must respectfully disagree. If we were to take even one, tiny step down that path, the genie would be out of the bottle. If factory OEM standard wings are OK, how about dealer-installed options? Good--how about aftermarket wings intended for my car? Good--how about the spec wing from the WC Touring series? Good--how about an undertray to go with it?

Yikes! It's Rod Millen's "Toyota" mutant pick-up!

As a point of interest, when there were lots of first generation MR2s running in Showroom Stock, they had to remove their rear wings. As an optional part, they were not legal, even though only about four cars were sold without...

Kirk

09-06-2001, 11:11 AM
I see your point Kirk, scca should have made the politicly correct call and said "no rear wings".
I really liked the way it looked though, but I guess ill just have to get over it.

rlekun
09-06-2001, 12:03 PM
Maybe you could tie the rear wing into the cage and call it a safety modification. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif