PDA

View Full Version : Weber Carbs

charrbq
07-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have any idea how to set up a Weber 3434 DMTR for an ITC Honda. I've been running one for several years and have yet to get decent, consistant performance. So far I've tried changing the float level up and down, as I've heard they are sensitive to that. I've used all sorts of emulsion tubes. Tried constant variations of jets (both gas and air) and even tried some marginally grey area modifications with no positive result.
On initial acceleration from a corner, the car's great, then it sputters and stumbles from 4G to 4.5, then again a 5.3-5.4. The only thing I've been able to do for improvement is to block off the high speed siphoning jet. That works, but no top end!
My only other solution is to drive off the corner like I've got an egg under my shoe until I get beyond 5 grand.
Any one got ideas? And "No!", a Honda carb is not an option.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

FireballPhil
07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Chris, I had the same problem when I was running my 1979 Honda Civic CVCC, Weber 32/36 back in 2001. I found a place in CA that would race prep my carb and it would take care of that problem.
http://www.racetep.com/weber.html and scroll down almost to the bottom. They talk about the 32/36 but I don't know about your carb. You might want to give them a call.
Phil

racer14itc
07-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by FireballPhil:
Chris, I had the same problem when I was running my 1979 Honda Civic CVCC, Weber 32/36 back in 2001. I found a place in CA that would race prep my carb and it would take care of that problem.
http://www.racetep.com/weber.html and scroll down almost to the bottom. They talk about the 32/36 but I don't know about your carb. You might want to give them a call.
Phil

If you do contact Top End Performance, be aware that there is a good chance you will get ripped off. I called them to buy some Weber sidedraft carbs for my GP car, and "Steve" promised parts for the carbs that he has yet to deliver. He charged me for 30mm chokes (which are required for my car in GP) but sent the carbs with 34mm chokes that were stamped "30" on them! Like that would really fool the tech inspector.

After numerous calls and e-mails, he still has the money he charged me for the 30mm chokes (I had to pay $108 extra for them since they are not standard). To this day I haven't seen the 30mm chokes nor the money.

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco

ITC Racer
07-12-2005, 01:11 PM
I had King Motorsports setup my 34/34 when they built the engine for my ITC CRX and have had absolutely no problems with it since and have not even touched it in several seasons. Does not matter if I am running in 35 deg or 90 deg...

FireballPhil
07-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up Mark. I , personally, have never bought or had to deal with Top End Perf. Now I know someone who has and I will probably keep my distance. Having them set up my ITC carb was something I had on my "to do" list before I sold the car so I never got the opportunity to use them. Thanks again Mark.
Phil

charrbq
07-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I appreciate the help, guys. I've been at a loss from the time I put this carb on until now. It was supposed not do everything it does. I was looking for something that would eliminate the stumbling out of the turns that's inherent with Weber replacements on Honda's. Didn't work. I know two people that have won the ARRC with this type Weber, and neither of them are willing to talk too much about how to set them up. I suppose there's a reason. I now know one place I might go, and one I wouldn't touch with a ten foot shift linkage. I wonder if the guys that screw us around realize the we do talk to one another.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

R2 Racing
07-15-2005, 09:49 AM
You shouldn't have any stumbling with a properly set up DMTR carb. It's a split float with the jets positioned in a more proper position versus the DGV. I'd tell you what we put in ours but honestly, I haven't touched that thing in like 4 or 5 years so I don't recall at all.

I generally ran the DGV anyway since it made so much more power than any DMTR or modified Honda carb I ever tried. The driveability wasn't great but at most CenDiv tracks, the extra power made up for it.

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Earlinflorida
07-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Chris,
I bought a red line carb with the "stumble" taken out. What a joke! I sent it to Gareth for "fixin" and he found a broken part in their "rebuilt" carb, plus they kept the carb I sent them. When I complained, they sent me a boneyard piece of junk in return. REDLINE IS A SCAM SHOP. DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITHI THEM.

racer14itc
07-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Earlinflorida:
Chris,
I bought a red line carb with the "stumble" taken out. What a joke! I sent it to Gareth for "fixin" and he found a broken part in their "rebuilt" carb, plus they kept the carb I sent them. When I complained, they sent me a boneyard piece of junk in return. REDLINE IS A SCAM SHOP. DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITHI THEM.

Earl,

Did you deal with Top End performance (who sell "Redline" Weber stuff) or Redline Weber directly?

MC

Earlinflorida
07-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Mark,

I dealt with Top End direct. The carb I sent them was ok but stumbled. The "new" carb they sent me still stumbled. Harry Puckett gave me some good advice that has helped reduce the problem. I repeat, they are a scam!!!

charrbq
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
SCAM!! Ouch, Earl! You sound like you got a case of it!

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

charrbq
07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I bought a 32/36 for the blast since I wasn't getting the drivability out of the 34/34. My head is bone stock with 140,000+ on the clock. It's only been cleaned up. I understand that you have to take advantage of the rules on head preparation to properly use the bigger carb. I was just hoping to save some time by getting this P.O.S. to run right. Sort of searching for a needle in the haystack, but looking in the wrong field.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic