PDA

View Full Version : QUIAFE DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM

USGUYS
07-19-2005, 12:59 AM
I have been racing a Honda Crx-Si in ITA and FP for a number of years. The differential has an adapter sleeves that sizes the differential output to the bearings.
The problem I have experienced is that the adapter sleeves backed out onto the half shaft seal surfaces. They move out far enough to allow the differential to lose the support of the bearings. It and the ring gear then are free to rock. The result is that it destroys the shaft seals. I have been lucky in that no damage has been caused to the gears.
Can you give me some advice on what to do to stop this from happening in the future?

Tom Blaney
07-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by USGUYS:
I have been racing a Honda Crx-Si in ITA and FP for a number of years. The differential has an adapter sleeves that sizes the differential output to the bearings.
The problem I have experienced is that the adapter sleeves backed out onto the half shaft seal surfaces. They move out far enough to allow the differential to lose the support of the bearings. It and the ring gear then are free to rock. The result is that it destroys the shaft seals. I have been lucky in that no damage has been caused to the gears.
Can you give me some advice on what to do to stop this from happening in the future?

If you use the adapter sleeve, put a small series of tack welds at the end of the sleeve where it faces out toward the seal. Use small but proper beads and file off any splatter or distoration so that the bearings will slide on properly.

joeg
07-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Sounds as if the "fit" of the adaptor sleeves is too loose.

Maybe new ones with almost an interference fit (requiring that they be "frozen" on) should be made. Then installing with that Loctite bearing retainer compund can do the trick.

I am not a big fan of the welding procedure, but sometimes that is all you have left as an option.

USGUYS
07-20-2005, 11:08 PM
I TIG-welded them in place. If I have a future problem I will report it.

USGUYS
08-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Three races at Road America since the last report--No problem. Welding was the simple and effective answer. :happy204: