PDA

View Full Version : New! Please Help.

John Kovach
05-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I am the proud owner of a '91 Civic std.

Thats right, the really really really slow civic with a 4-spd.

I wanted to know what my options are with this car. I wanted to do some solo racing with it however, it's classed right next to the si. So, I was looking into csp and then remembered something about SP cars and IT being set up very similiar.

Whatever direction I go I don't want to eliminate the option of club racing this car one day in the future. So, Is IT a good place for this car or is there another class I should be thinking about?

Am I able to swap in a d16 si motor and tranny and go from there?

Any help would be great!

Knestis
05-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I don't know much about that car specifically but some general thoughts...

I believe that SP still lets you run an IT car that is legal for the IT rules - which are more restrictive than SP in some instances.

You can't mix and match, and would be illegal for IT with a built-to-the rules SP car.

You can't swap engines in IT, even if it is to make a car that is legal for the class - like making an ITA Si out of a Standard. It's a dumb rule but that's how it is.

K

John Kovach
05-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Ive been doing some research and it seems that the 4spd civic std is a decent ITC car.

Now the only challenge is going to be finding examples of other peoples set ups. I think i'll start building the car to ITC specs but start racing in CSP until I get there.

Knestis
05-01-2005, 09:02 PM
You should start visiting the Road Racing and Autocross forum at www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com) - home to some of the most clued-in racers of any kind in the US, but also THE source for Honda road racing tech hints.

K

EDIT - be forewarned that, if you want to race a Honda, there are some really GOOD examples out there that can be purchased for half - or less - of what it would cost you to build one.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited May 01, 2005).]

krshultz
05-24-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm codriving this very car (88-91 Civic Standard) in ECRs this year. With the 4-speed box it's classed in ITC and is very competitive there. Over many of the other ITC cars, we have better brakes, better aero, and better suspension. The downside of course is the four speed box, which is bloody awful at some tracks (CMP), and pretty good at others (Road Atlanta, VIR).

My buddy and the car owner got on the podium in this car at the ARRC last year. His is a "best of everything, no excuses" car and so far, we're undefested in ECRs.

If you insist on building rather than buying, this is a great choice. And having come from an ITS Integra, I can promise you that racing a C car will make you a better driver. One false move and your entire lap is shot.

Good luck.

spnkzss
05-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Final Drive Final Drive Final Drive

Spanky
#03 ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

R2 Racing
05-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by John Kovach:
Ive been doing some research and it seems that the 4spd civic std is a decent ITC car.

Yea, you could say that - haha. Some of the finest ITC cars in the country are '88-91 Civic STD's. We've got three here in CenDiv alone that have pretty much re-set all of our track records between them. There's a couple of tricks to unlocking them but once you do, strap in!

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

[This message has been edited by R2 Racing (edited May 24, 2005).]