PDA

View Full Version : CRX Camshaft ?

racer-025
05-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I have several camshafts under the workbench. These are from the 88-91 Civic/CRX 1.5L & 1.6L with eithor auto or manual gearbox. I am building a D16A6 CRX Si engine and need to know which one to install. Does anyone know how I determine which are which?

Alldata indicates 4 different part numbers for these types and of course there are no part numbers on the camshafts.

B90278
05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
d16a6, lift at lobe .195 Exhaust, .225 Intake, you should be within .002 of those #'s

b.

racer-025
05-19-2005, 12:25 PM
That still wont identify which cams are from which models. DX & Si have the same lift/duration but have different part #'s. I believe that cam timing is the difference. Alldata indicates that all the models have the same pully (same part #). However, I also believe the main difference in all these cams is the distributor angle cut into the cam.

Case in point: I cant get 18-20 degs in ignition (distributor) timing. The max I can get (all the way over) is 16 deg. The belt (cam timing) is timed correct. So this indicates that perhaps I have the wrong cam in there from a different model. Maybe an automatic inwhich would have slightly different optimum rpm range designed for mid end power.

Catch22
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Decking can change timing.

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited May 20, 2005).]

racer-025
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
decking will change cam timing, but not ignition timing. You should still be able to dial in at least 18+degs...

Catch22
05-20-2005, 10:31 PM
You sure about that?

If I'm wrong, please explain it to me. 'Cause if I'm wrong I must have the wrong distributor on my ITC car ('91 Standard). I had a really hard time getting to 18 degrees timing after we built the motor. I had assumed it was due to decking, but if decking doesn't effect timing I must have a DX or LX distributor on the car (maybe?).
I had thought the Standard/DX/LX (dual point) distributors were all the same, but maybe they're not. The distributor I have works fine, I just had to turn it all the way back to get the timing where I wanted it.

Scott = Perplexed

racer-025
05-21-2005, 08:44 PM
This particular engine is stock. The head has not been plained, nor the block decked. It is a 90 Si std engine. I've determined either the cam is the wrong one or the distributor is from an automatic. You may have the same problem. The other engine is a fully built IT engine and it will go to 20-22 degs. no problem. I'll dig further and let you know what I find.

Catch22
05-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Its quite possible I have a DX or LX distributor on the car and don't know it. Car runs great though, so its just a matter of satisfying curiosity for me.

I have several distributors. I might experiment with them.